AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a Hitachi 43FWX20B HDTV delivered in a few weeks, and I don't know much about how my DVD players compares to other, newer ones. I know it's a progressive scan player, but that's about it.

Will there be a noticable difference between the SD-3750 and the Panny RP82/XP50? I can't afford to pay $500+ for a player now, but I wouldn't mind shelling out about half that if the XP50 delivers a noticably improved image.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, here's an update.

I just stopped by my local electronics store's "open box" section, and here's what I have to choose from.

CP-67 - $148

XP-30 - $148

CP-72 - $168 (no remote)

Which of these Panasonics would you buy? I've always had a single-disc player, so I don't care whether it's a single or multi. My biggest concern by far is picture quality.

Please, help a home theater noob get it right the first time. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please, give me some feedback, folks. Will any of the above three players be an upgrade from my current Tosh SD-3750? I know how great the Pannys are for the money, but I have no idea how they compare to my current unit.

Even if you have no idea, tell me you can't help me. At least you'll be giving me a much needed bump. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a Toshiba SD-3750 and it looks fantastic on my Tosh 50HX81 w/s RPTV. For the price at the time I compared other makes/models, it seemed the best. Personally if I were you I'd keep the Tosh player you have until there's a really major technology advance of some sort. So far that hasn't happened.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have the same player you do right now hooked to a 42" Panasonic plasma.

It only works about 2/3 the time, so I decided to try a different brand:

Denon 1600 - did NOT like - too "grainy" looking. When smoke looks like a digital dot-cloud, that’s really lame. Sold it. Nice player, did not fit the plasma well.

JVC 600BK - nice FILM picture. WAY better than my Toshiba SD-3750. Sharp, clear, natural looking. VIDEO mode looks worst than the Toshiba, however. Compared my x-files seasons DVDs on both Toshiba and JVC and Toshiba does a better job, particularly with scaling. JVC "scales" but you have to zoom it in to fill the screen. PQ is a bit jagged. Cannot handle. Sold it. Again, nice player that only does 80% of everything well. Bummed.

I looked at some of the new Panasonic DVD players and I was not impressed with the build quality. Basically a light piece of plastic. If cheesy looks and cheap build is your thing, then Panasonic has the wal-mart look and feel down patent. Congrats Panasonic.:rolleyes: Too bad the build quality of their DVD players is so lacking when their other products are doing well in that arena.

So now I STILL have the 3750 hooked up, and I continue to research. I may try a Harman Kardon DVD-25, as it gets super rave reviews EVERYWHERE BUT here and in the US in general. I translated several European reviews of it and all of them give it very high ratings, some their highest rating. Unfortunately, there is nowhere near me where I can test it for PQ.

I am also watching the Denon -2900. It is a lot more money, but I may splurge to get DVD-A and SACD if it has a nice PQ that is not "artificial looking."

Personally I think there is a heavy Panasonic bias here and I would try some different brands if you can to determine what you like in PQ. It seems people don't hesitate to throw RP82, XP50, et al out the mouth but never offer up any QUALITATIVE reasoning for their recommendation, other than "secrets said so." All that has rubbed me the wrong way. The secrets tests are important, but are only one small piece of a large pie. Your display type and size, viewing distance, lighting, height, and material are all going to affect the PQ and what you see on the screen. How many people here throw out "RP-82, dude, it kills!" and read further to discover they have it hooked up to a 34" tube TV. OK, so that means it looks good on THAT TV under HIS setup conditions. Hook it up to a plasma, FP or a DLP or LCD and it is a different ballgame (potentially).

The bad thing about going from a Toshiba to another brand is that you might miss the nice things Toshiba has going for them - scaling, many picture tweaks, nice menu system, decent build, ability to dimm the front panel, etc. The Denon 1600 and many of the Panasonics have few (at best) options and weak looking menus that make you wonder what you are getting in return for your money. That may or not be important.

If you like the Toshiba you have now, you could try the SD-4800. I don't know what improvements it may have, but it could be worth a look-see.

:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.