AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 23' x 23' room as my main AV room. I have a Sony SXRD 55A3000 as my TV. I just upgraded my receiver from a sony dg800 (cost $173) to a yamaha RX-V765 ($389).

As for speakers, I use the SKS-HT540, which I picked up for $219. I also have two 15" 4-way KLH's in the front for more base. I'm wondering if you think it would be worth it to upgrade any of my speakers, and what you'd recommend. These are still set up with the dg-800, as the yamaha will be arriving today.

I'm currently planning on using the zone 2 speaker outputs to go to a 6 way speaker selector (3 pairs) to drive addition fronts in the great room, as well as 4 speakers on the front porch. This is still in the plan, and I haven't yet picked up the speaker selector, or patio speakers.

So, what do you think of my setup? I can provide pictures tonight if you'd like. Do you think I should upgrade my speakers? If so, what will give me the most bang for my buck (as in what should I start with)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yes you should upgrade your speakers. Onkyo makes excellent receivers and personally they are my favorite brand of receiver for quality, options, and ease of use. But Onkyo doesn't make good speakers. Generally any company who makes a good receiver doesn't make good speakers and any company who makes good speakers doesn't make good receivers.

What is your budget? Are you going to do 5.1 or 7.1? What is your goal for your system?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18152085

Yes you should upgrade your speakers. Onkyo makes excellent receivers and personally they are my favorite brand of receiver for quality, options, and ease of use. But Onkyo doesn't make good speakers. Generally any company who makes a good receiver doesn't make good speakers and any company who makes good speakers doesn't make good receivers.

What is your budget? Are you going to do 5.1 or 7.1? What is your goal for your system?

I haven't really thought about a budget. I guess I'm open to ideas. The main goal of this is for movies (DVD or blu-ray), but I will also play music, and feed music throughout the rest of the house (eventually). I think that I'd like to do a 7.1, or even 7.2, but given the number of titles that really use 7, I'd be fine starting with a 5.x system. Budget doesn't matter too much if I do it over time, but I'm looking for a good value, and a good pairing with the rest of my setup.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
your first option should be for a decent powered subwoofer. If you are running your older KLH speakers in parallel with the original front speakers from the Onkyo HTiB (both connected to the same output), you are not getting the best out of either.

Depending on budget, look at subs like the BIC-100, Parts-Express http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-635 ; HSU Research http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html ; Elemental Design (eD) http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...78a863b60be502

after testing you current speakers (without the KLH speakers attached), you may find they are adequate for the mid-range and high frequency sounds, now that a good powered subwoofer is handling the heavy lifting of reproducing low frequency audio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18152348

your first option should be for a decent powered subwoofer. If you are running your older KLH speakers in parallel with the original front speakers from the Onkyo HTiB (both connected to the same output), you are not getting the best out of either.

after testing you current speakers (without the KLH speakers attached), you may find they are adequate for the mid-range and high frequency sounds, now that a good powered subwoofer is handling the heavy lifting of reproducing low frequency audio.

Thanks. I'm a noob here, but I'm finding it odd how I could get more "power" out of the same size sub (10") as I currently have, with less watts. Is it just an inefficiency from the Onkyo sub, which has 230W?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18152627

The PSB at saturdayaudio and audioadvisor is a good start. Monitor Audio at Saturdayaudio is another option.

linky?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
As stated before Onkyo doesn't make good speakers especially their subs. I am using 2 Onkyo subs right now, both 230 watts with a 10" down firing sub and a 4" front firing port. I've heard good subs before that just a single one sounds better than my 2. Onkyo's might have plenty of bass and power but the bass is very distorted (loose, muddy, and boomy). A good sub should be musical, tight, and punchy.

·
Registered
29,316 Posts
Just because it says the sub is 230 watts, that might be peak power, the amp may not be very clean, driver is sub-par, etc. On the website it just says Max Power is 230 watts with no other qualifications.

Onkyo is not known for high quality speakers, most of their speakers are for their HTIB systems which obviously has compromises when you're trying to pack so much into a budget price range. They do make very good components though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I feel it is relevant to my situation....

I do not own a home theater system yet, and I've been looking around reading and posting to threads and what not just trying to figure out what I should do. I was looking at possibly purchasing this speaker setup by Onkyo for $225 because it seems like it has pleased all of its owners so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A228GNTXW0TH0L

My question is would it be worth the extra money to get a more expensive speaker system? I had been looking at going with the Polk m60 fronts and cs2 center. Not sure what I'd go with for surrounds, polk m30s? My subwoofer decision is a toss up between the psw10 or bic-100. The total cost of the higher end speaker package would run me around 600 to 700 $....

Am I really going to be gaining enough in the way of quality to justify spending the extra amount of money? I want a set up mainly for home theater purposes, but I would also like to jam some music on occasion...any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes, I would go with Polk Audio Monitor setup, if the budget allowed, and even if that means 5.1 only.

Quality difference between them and Onkyo HTiB speakers is very dramatic, both in sound and build. Yes, to Monitor 30's as side and/or back surrounds.

Based on my experience with PSW10 and reviews of BIC, BIC is a better sub, but I have never heard it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought Onkyo SKS-HT540. Very disappointed. Other than large speakers and heavy and large subwoofer, I did not see much improvement in the sound. I bought this by seeing the good reviews at amazon.com. I think 95% of those reviews are fake. My original smaller size low-end Sony speakers and subwoofer provide me better much better sound.

Can anyone suggest better speakers for me? I am going to return Onkyo SKS-HT540 junk. I see there are subwoofer recommendations. But I am looking for mainly speakers. Actually I do turn off subwoofer at night while playing movies as I live in an apartment.

My receiver is Onkyo TX-SR606 and budget for speaker set is under $500. The lower the better. Not looking for famous brands. Just looking for performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow...I'm in the same boat and was going to go for the Onkyo SKS-HT540 speakers. I'm not an audiophile and would use mainly for listening to movies/tv. For around $225, I thought it would be adequate for my needs but I'm rethinking my purchase.

I'm going to do some research on the Jamo S 413 HCS 5 for ~$200 because I need a new subwoofer to match the Onkyo HT-RC260 that is arriving soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.