AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't updated the drivers on my ATI 8500 AIW since November on my bedroom's HTPC. The drivers are 6.14.10.6497 and seem to be stable. I just got a new 50" plasma and switched from ZP to Theatertek and figured maybe I'm missing out by not having the latest drivers... but then again, I've always figured if it's not broken don't fix it. With powerstrip, I've got beautiful 1:1 pixel mapping. Should I bother installing the new drivers? I know my card is old, btw, but it's working fine for me.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I wouldn't bother. Most the fixes and performance enhancements pertain to video games, and some of the more recent drivers have caused issues with HTPC. I'm clearly in the if it ain't broke don't fix it camp with ATI drivers, having not upgraded for a lot longer time than you.

·
Registered
913 Posts
if what you currently have does what you want, and is stable....for the love of God, why change?

Stability and ease of use are what make or break a htpc in my opinion....nothing nicer than having the system perform flawlessly when you have friends over for a movie, nothing worse than having a bunch of people hanging around while you "fix" the system....

if it works, nobody is going to know or care that you don't have "the latest" drivers....

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsurgeon
if what you currently have does what you want, and is stable....for the love of God, why change?
Because I can’t leave well enough alone!

I spent about 6 hours this weekend uninstalling and reinstalling the ATI drivers just to get MMC 9.8 to work. In the end though I gained the ability to record wmv video in just about any manner I wished. To me that was worth it. I have a feeling that the next ATI drivers and MMC that will come out this week will have some tempting features. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.