AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a HTPC setup with the Asus Xonar DS, which encodes DTS audio through optical cable to my receiver and 5.1 setup.
It does not have a HDMI output so I can only get compressed 5.1 audio.

Should I upgrade to a card which has HDMI audio out so I can get uncompressed 5.1?
Will I be able to hear the difference when viewing blu-ray using my setup?

·
Registered
13,589 Posts
You can't pass HD audio via your DTS audio sound card. So, yeah, it will be better audio quality than your existing one if you have HDMI receiver. Best of all, most modern video card or motherboard (if you use integrated video) already come with HDMI audio support. You don't need to buy a sound card at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that if the movie I watch already has the the surround signal I can just bypass using the motherboard hdmi audio out and bitstream the uncompressed sound to my receiver.

Will my receiver automatically switch from DTS to PCM (or whatever format it needs) when I'm not playing a movie, and watching a Youtube/ Playing music? In addition, is that the best way to get the best quality sound without spending a fortune? I think that's how it works, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.