AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I was hoping you might be able to provide some insight regarding something I'm considering with my system. I started working in the industry in the late 1990's and purchased a set of M&K (legacy) S150s paired with an MX350THX sub. I could not be happier with the system. No issues whatsoever and it sounds absolutely fantastic (I run them using Marantz separates). It is now 2014 and I find myself working in the industry again, although I'm not certain if I'll be in it for more than another year or so. I again have access to appreciative discounts on certain brands (excluding M&K or Ken Kreisel's independent line). Knowing that my M&K's are now 14 years old, would you recommend selling them and putting the money toward a newer system (considering Def Tech or Martin Logan). My concern is that I don't know the point at which I'd need to replace the drivers in my M&K's (if ever) due simply to aging. Also know that I do not work in a sales or technical role - I'm just really enjoy quality equipment (hence my lack of knowledge in this area). Appreciate your thoughts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

What is this mysterious "industry"? Mob hits? Producing televised award shows? 

You say what you've owned and what speakers you're considering, but you don't say what you want to do with the speakers. What do you want to play on them? How loud, and for whom? What sort of room?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. Industry = consumer electronics retail industry. No, I do not work for the Russian mafia (although that would probably be a cool gig). What I want to do with them is in our next home I'd like to have a dedicated theater used for tv, movies, and gaming. All of my music listening is done in my car or with headphones. I like to play movies near reference levels but not deafening. I guess my real question would be whether I need to worry if physical materials which comprise the M&K drivers will deteriorate any time soon. Thoughts? (and sorry for not being clear enough in my post)

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
That is the point. If you hear something you like better and it makes financial sense then go for it. Otherwise it is "upgrading" for the sake of upgrading. That is a popular activity in home audio but it defies common sense.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight. I love these speakers and will plan to keep them for years to come. I've felt the drivers and they feel no different than when I first got them. Perhaps what I'll do is when I do plan to eventually leave the company I'll pick up a second set of speakers (likely Martin Logan's or Def Techs) and keep my M&K's. Thank you all for you input - I appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts