AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have three year old Rotel separates RTC 965 pre and RB 985 MkII amp powering 5 B&W CDM SE1 speakers for my TV. My sub is a B&W ASW2000. I'm currently building a dedicated home theater in my house and will purchase an HD2 DLP front projector (possibly a Marantz or Sharp) with 106" screen. I've just upgraded my old Rotel RDV 985 DVD player to a Denon 3800 and notice a fairly good improvement in sound and video quality.

My question(s) is/are would I gain a noticeable increase in sound quality if I upgrade my pre and amp? Can I get away with just upgrading the pre? What components would you recommend? Would a top end receiver be just about as good? I'm also think of upgrading my sub as well and any thoughts on that are appreciated.

I've read posts here about the Outlaw 950 pre. Would that be a good match for my existing amp? The Rotel 1066 is another option?

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I also have the RTC-965 and RMB985 original. What did you wind up doing?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd go with the Rotel or at the very least an Outlaw pre/pro. Unless you're craving more power or more channels your current amp should suffice. Though if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket I won't tell you not to upgrade it. Besides you might be picky and want your equipment to match if you get a new pre/pro... As good as top end recievers have gotten over the past few years they still can't match the sonics of seperates. If you are looking at receivers, one option might be the Rotel RSX-1055, with a new or your existing amp. You would get updated surround formats, software upgradeability and 98% of the sonics of the 1066 plus the added benefit that you could bi-amp your speakers with the 1055's amps...

Just some suggestions :)

J.R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.