·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a summary of my system:

Onkyo DS989 Receiver
Polk Audio CS 245i Center
Polk Audio RT2000 Fronts
Polk Audio fx/500i Surrounds (5.1 only so far)
Velodyne CHT-15 Sub

Mitsubishi Diamond 65" RPTV
Onkyo DV-S939 DVD-A

Samsung T165 HDTV STB

JVC 30000U D-VHS

ReplayTV 4000 and 5000
Audiotron MP3 player

I run the highest quality connection when possible (component, digital audio, etc.) I connect DVD-A through a multichannel cable directly into my receiver. I watch mostly ReplayTV and some recorded HDTV. When I watch movies, I've been watching DVDs. Will start purchasing D-Theater when possible. Listen to MP3 music occasionally at 256kb quality or higher.

My future plans include adding another zone with video and audio, adding 6th and 7th surround channels, upgrading center channel, and

possibly upgrading subwoofer.

I have been happy with my system, but as I read about other products, I also wonder if I should upgrade. I am not a hardcore audiophile and some of the low level technical discussions are over my head.

Should I upgrade to a receiver like the Carver Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. Will the extra 70 watts per channel be noticeable for my application?

Would the Rotel RSP 1098 and external amp be a bigger benefit for me?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Andrew

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you just want more power, I would initially upgrade to separate amps for the front three channels (LCR). Or, of course you could use separate amps for all 7 channels. The 989 has just about all the current processing except for the recently released DPIIX.

Of course if you want to upgrade just for the heck of it, then I would go with separates.

Arnold

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Lammer
What is your upgrade budget ?

Have you tried a "quality" outboard amp for your mains and centre ?

- Andy
Under $10,000. I don't mind investing in my system, I just don't know if I will receive a noticeable improvement and what those improvements would be. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Wow, you say "I am not a hardcore audiophile " yet you own a flagship AVR and you want to spend $10K on an upgrade. I don't get it. What is the goal here, to improve sound or just spend money?

I have an Onkyo 898 and want to improve my sound as much as possible and not break the bank. I opted for a used Sherbourn 5/1500A (200x5) for

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
Wow, you say "I am not a hardcore audiophile " yet you own a flagship AVR and you want to spend $10K on an upgrade. I don't get it. What is the goal here, to improve sound or just spend money?
I don't consider myself an audiophile because there is very high end equipment costing many tens of thousands of dollars. Just read a review about front speakers costing $250,000 a pair.

I want to improve sound if it will be noticeable. And I want to understand what improvements are possible.

Quote:
How long have you owned the 989 and what did you pay for it. I'd think you may want to squeeze a little more life out of it considering the expense. If you're not a hardcore audio fan, then I think a current flagship AVR would still be a useful part of the HT rig.
I've owned the 989 for almost 2 years. I paid around $2700 for it.

Quote:
BTW, how do you like the Audiotron? I've been considering going that route and converting my whole collection to quality MP3s.
Audiotron is great. I converted my CD collection to 256kb MP3s so I wouldn't have to use the original CDs in my car. Since I had them on my PC, the Audiotron was a great fit for me. They are very good about releasing firmware upgrades and they are easy to apply. The web interface is decent, but not earth shattering.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by trekker
If you just want more power, I would initially upgrade to separate amps for the front three channels (LCR). Or, of course you could use separate amps for all 7 channels. The 989 has just about all the current processing except for the recently released DPIIX.

Of course if you want to upgrade just for the heck of it, then I would go with separates.

Arnold
If I use a separate amp for the front channels, will there be a separate volume control for them or will it be integrated with my Onkyo? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The Onkyo will act as a preamp and the volume control will behave the same, no seperate volume control on the seperate amp.

This is exactly what I'm going to do with my 898/sherbourn amp, except for all five channels.

·
Registered
156 Posts
abrimberry:

any thoughts on upgrading the speakers???

I own the 989, upgraded to THX Ultra, and power the Polk RT5000 speaker system with an extra pair of f/x1000's for 7.1 playback.

I upgraded these from the rt2000's and cs400 about 1 year ago, and could not have been happier with the results, both in sound quality and quantity.

The 989 has power to spare, I heard it give a decent audition in a 10,000 cubic foot theater at a recent onkyo event...

food for thought

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you want to improve sound quality, then I would be looking at better speakers first. Polks are good speakers but there are lots of other choices.

Make sure you audition them in your room! Don't buy stuff which you cannot return. Once you find your perfect speakers, and only then purchase the kind of amps that will drive them well.

As far as Onkyo receiver, going to separates will improve the sound. I went from a Yamaha RX-V995 to Tag MclAren AV32R and don't have any regrets. I like that Tag but you may find the Lexicon MC8 also suitable. There will be a difference in clarity, but not a night and day difference. I like the Tag because of the lower noise floor (compared to the receiver). I sold it once because I thought I could save money by using a receiver but bought another Tag because I couldn't stand the sound anymore.

For amps, I am using Parasound 2205, but it really depends on how efficient your speakers are. When I had Magnepans MG1.6QR, I needed all that power. Now I am using Swan Divas and I'm highly overpowered and could use a smaller amp instead.

Have fun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.