AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an Optoma HD20 for about 6 years, and was just thinking of upgrading to the Sony VPL-HW40ES. I feel like the picture on the HD20 is a bit washed out, maybe because of all the light leakage coming from the projector's front vent, or maybe just because this was one of the first affordable 1080p projectors, and never had the greatest black levels.

My question is, how much better a picture should I expect from the Sony?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I've had an Optoma HD20 for about 6 years, and was just thinking of upgrading to the Sony VPL-HW40ES. I feel like the picture on the HD20 is a bit washed out, maybe because of all the light leakage coming from the projector's front vent, or maybe just because this was one of the first affordable 1080p projectors, and never had the greatest black levels.

My question is, how much better a picture should I expect from the Sony?
Have you treated your ceiling and walls at least within the first 5' of the screen with dark flat paint or fabric?
If so, by all means upgrade. If not, you won't get the performance from the new projector you are hoping for. So if you upgrade and have not treated the room, put that on the list to include as part of the upgrade.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you treated your ceiling and walls at least within the first 5' of the screen with dark flat paint or fabric?
If so, by all means upgrade. If not, you won't get the performance from the new projector you are hoping for. So if you upgrade and have not treated the room, put that on the list to include as part of the upgrade.
I know that helps reduce reflective light, but I can't do that in the current room. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I upgraded my 5 year old Epson 8350 to the Sony 40es and it was a huge difference and worth the money. Image was much brighter in low lamp mode vs my old projector's high lamp mode, colors popped more, picture was sharper, motion was better, and no SDE. I can't comment on your projector but I'd imagine it be good upgrade if u have the cash to spare

·
Registered
3 Posts
Time to upgrade upgrade Epson Powerlite 6100?

I upgraded my 5 year old Epson 8350 to the Sony 40es and it was a huge difference and worth the money. Image was much brighter in low lamp mode vs my old projector's high lamp mode, colors popped more, picture was sharper, motion was better, and no SDE. I can't comment on your projector but I'd imagine it be good upgrade if u have the cash to spare
I am facing the same dilemma. I have a Epson Powerlite 6100. It seems to be working fine but have a little money to update if the difference will be apparent. I am considering either the Sony 40ES or the Epson 5020UB. I do not know how much projectors have improved in the last six or seven years-have little to no interest in 3D-and don't want to spend and be disappointed. Any guidance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Definitely you will see difference between a 8 yrs old against 1 year young projector. Former reply is correct. The viewing venue's light control and light reflection from walls and ceiling are vital. Every one's viewing venue is different from other. Comments from users are subjective, personal, self preference and are based on their own viewing venue's condition. You should go to a nearby AV shop, ask for a demo and judge how much improvement from your old projector. All the posting in this website on Sony40ES, Epson5030ub and other Epson new projectors cheaper than these 2 are more than what you need to consider which one you pick.
Best Buy shops mostly have a Sony40ES in their show rooms. Go and check it up yourselves. Mind you that the show room normally at complete light control. If you need the same performance you saw at the show room, you should ensure no light in your room with the new projector.
Sony40ES and Epson5030UB are competing each other vigorously at present. Both are being sold like hot cakes. But they both are not perfect projectors. No projector in the market is perfect after all. The more you spend shall have more functions and better performance. But performance improvement is not equal to what extra you paid most of the time. Make a little simple to your finding.........common agreement....Sony's fan noise is quieter, color is more natural and correct right out of the box with its presets.........Epson's black is deeper, same promotional price with an extra lamp (possibly now). That's it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts