AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a DENON 3801 for the past 18 month and I like it alot. Its hooked up to six AR S50 tower speakers, plus a Pinacle AC widescreen Center channel and a Infinity HPS-1000 15" 1000w sub woofer. I would like to upgrade to a 7.1 THX reciever, but not sure on what to buy. I do like the Denon 4802. I have read about Pioneer Elite systems and Onkyo systems. My question is it worth it to upgrade? Am I going to notice a BIG difference in the quality of sound? Is THX going to enhance my surround where I will notice it? Also what is the best THX that has the best bang for the bucks (OK for under two grand).

Mitch

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The THX is really nothing more than a special surround mode afiak. On my demo with the Yam 2400 it definately sounds different, but I honestly think it would come down to matter of preference rather than a clear superiority. THX reduces some of the dynamic highs to compensate for the fact that you're watching in your home instead of a giant theatre... I dunno, I might even prefer having the highs in there...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a similiar question, since I was looking at a Yamaha RX-V1 for about $1600 new, which does not have THX while the newer 2400, 3803 and 55TXi do. I like the 55TX, but the lack of optical inputs makes me hesitate. Uhg.

·
Registered
38 Posts
THX is actually a certification. There should not be a "THX" mode on anyone's equipment as far as I know. The equipment manufacturer gets to slap a THX certification label on their stuff if it passes the certification process. That doesn't mean that their equipment is any different than a previous model that didn't attempt certification.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There was a good thread around here somewhere but I can't find it. Go to thx.com. There is some info there.

Lenny

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
tpigeon said it well. THX is not a surround sound format like Dolby Digital AC-3, or DTS. THX's enhancements were designed to be used with AC-3, or DTS as he said a post-processing enhancement. These "enhancements" are re-equalization, timbre matching, adaptive decorrelation, Bass Management (electronic sub crossover), bass peak level manager, and loudspeaker position time synchronization. Many companies like my Lexicon have incorporated some of these enhancements in their pre/pros. I respect the innovations that have been developed by THX (Tomlinson Holman and Lucasfilm), but when I engage my Lexicon's Logic 7, I bypass the THX mode. In this mode I still get many of the things the THX mode offers.

As far as buying something if it as THX certification on it, or not I feel that is a minority as some products that have chosen not to be placed under THX standards and their certification program actually outperform some THX equipment. They know what they are doing at THX and most THX products do rock, but they are not the only ones with the eye of quality.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Having a THX Select unit I would say:

1) There is nothing wrong with THX

2) It really doesn't add anything for you.

Find the unit you like - it it is THX great, if not you aren't missing much.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The ultimate THxymoron was made when George Lucas bought 5 identical speakers for one of the post-production sound studios at Skywalker Ranch. What where these speakers? B&W 802's, and they were not THX certified.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
The ultimate THxymoron was made when George Lucas bought 5 identical speakers for one of the post-production sound studios at Skywalker Ranch. What where these speakers? B&W 802's, and they were not THX certified.
Are you sure about this? I though they where M&K users in ALL the skywalkers mixing studios?

·
Registered
376 Posts
The one thing I do like about the THX processing is the Re Eq for those movies recorded a little brighter than I would like. But other receivers and pre/pro have something similar(Cinema Re Eq) now.

Arnold

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I know they have the 802's in one of the main mixing rooms (matched with M&K subs). I believe B&W's site is a reference, but I have seen other places showing the yellow Kevlar. I will do some research on it and post it. But you are right on the M&K part. All rooms use M&K subs. I have seen pictures of M&K satellites used in a room there as well, I believe M&K Pro cabinets.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
OK, here is something on it:

"It is important to realize that there are many pieces of high quality equipment that do not meet THX standards. For example, the Skywalker ranch sound studio uses non-THX certified B&W 802 speakers to monitor THX certified recordings."

APA cite for website is http://www.liquidtheater.com/editorials/50

As I searched that, I remember when I first saw pictures of the 802's in Skywalker Ranch. It was I a brochure B&W sent me. I will try and find another reference, either a Skywalker Ranch, or B&W citation.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
OK, here is something on it:

"It is important to realize that there are many pieces of high quality equipment that do not meet THX standards. For example, the Skywalker ranch sound studio uses non-THX certified B&W 802 speakers to monitor THX certified recordings."

APA cite for website is http://www.liquidtheater.com/editorials/50

As I searched that, I remember when I first saw pictures of the 802's in Skywalker Ranch. It was I a brochure B&W sent me. I will try and find another reference, either a Skywalker Ranch, or B&W citation.
No need to do that. :)

I just got the PDF right from Sky walker ranch where they disclose ALL the equipment they use but just for the scoring mix

http://www.skysound.com/scoring-equip.pdf

Go to control room monitors.

B&W 802 Nautilus are the first in the list. Then they mention THree other monitors for near field also.

Quote:
From Skywalker's Ranch Scoring equipment PDF files
CONTROL ROOM MONITORS

Large

Allen Sides / Ocean Way Custom Monitor System L, C, R

Mid and Near Field

B&W Nautilus 802 L, C, R, L/S, R/S

Tannoy SGM10B w/ Mastering Lab Crossovers

Tannoy PBM 8 Limpet (powered) L, C, R, L/S, R/S

M&K MPS 2510 (powered) L, C, R, L/S, R/S

Meyer Sound Labs 833 Meyer HD1 ATC 20 (powered)

Genelec 1030A

Yamaha NS10m
LMAO

side note: look at all the amps they use

Quote:
From Skywalker's ranch Scoring Equipment PDF
AMPLIFICATION

Chord 1232 mono block L, C, R

Chord 2232 stereo L/S, R/S

Bryston 4B-ST

Parasound HCA-1206 6 channel Surround

Hafler 9505, 500

BGW
wonder why they don't just use crown or other pro amps :confused: Are all these amps THX certified?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
. Whether being used as studio monitors at Abbey Road and Skywalker Ranch or recreating that experience in a domestic environment, B&W offers a better listening experience.

Listen and you'll see.

B&W Bowers & Wilkins

Dale Road

Worthing

BN11 2BH

T: 01903 221500

F: 01903 221501

[email protected]
www.bwspeakers.com www.listenandyoullsee.com

I found this one B&W's site and saw your PDF after the fact, but I will just add it so anyone in the future will know. That is a cool site, where you using Alta Vista to search?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
. Whether being used as studio monitors at Abbey Road and Skywalker Ranch or recreating that experience in a domestic environment, B&W offers a better listening experience.

Listen and you'll see.

B&W Bowers & Wilkins

Dale Road

Worthing

BN11 2BH

T: 01903 221500

F: 01903 221501

[email protected]
www.bwspeakers.com www.listenandyoullsee.com

I found this one B&W's site and saw your PDF after the fact, but I will just add it so anyone in the future will know. That is a cool site, where you using Alta Vista to search?
no i remember that skywalker ranch has a site along with all the other GL ventures :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Holy Hell! 80' long scoring stage! Freak, did you see all the mics they have in there?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Holy Hell! 80' long scoring stage! Freak, did you see all the mics they have in there?
Yes

that is impressive. But

did you see the PREMIUM CABLES DIRECT FROM STAGE TO CONTROL ROOM section?

MIT 90 feet

MIT 120 feet

Wouldn't that be like 10k in just cables right there? lol

I guess whatever the client request they got it covered.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.