AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Sharp PG-A10X (LCD 4:3 XGA), I'm wondering if I should get a 16:9 PJ since I was just about to re arrange my room to make my screen 2 feet bigger, but if I can sell my projector and get another one I could get a good upgrade for around $700 + S&H. I also just got a 400 disc DVD player with HDMI, but I'm not sure if PJs with HDMI are too expensive.

Should I get a 16:9? I need a very short throw, I now make a 72" from about 8 feet away, I want at least that short of a range. I was looking at the Hitachi PJ-TX100, are there better choices for about the same price?

I currently sell a program to help win more items for less on ebay and will soon be having a new edition for sellers which should make me a lot of money when I release it, I was thinking of using part of it to get a new PJ since my friend just showed me that Hitachi one and it looks very good for the price.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As a fellow A10x'er, I too have felt the upgrade bug, especially since I've already installed 2 4805s.

But the deal breaker for me, like you, is throw. I have a small room (13ft throw). I already have a 103" 4:3 and I'm sitting less than 1.5x from the screen. So now resolution is also important. Having XGA resolution at least minimizes that. I can't see myself buying a 854x480-type pj since I'll make out SDE way too easily from that distance. And lets not talk about contrast. I already know about that...

And I suffer from RBE- so minimum 4x color wheel...

Right now the only thing that fits my criteria is the Sharp Z2000. And that unit is over 3x what I paid for my A10x. Most of the other popular brands- Infocus, Benq, Toshiba, that are within my price range, and 16:9 either has too long a throw, or does not have WXGA, or both, to even consider.

So until the price of the Sharp comes down to under $1.5k, I'm just gonna have to resort to masking and other techniques to minimize the light spill and try to keep perceived contrast as best as possible.

But I'm still very happy with my A10x. So whatever I find out there better make me happier!

Victor

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you look at the PJ-TX100? It's 1280x720 and has an even shorter throw than the PG-A10X thanks to it's 1.6x zoom and it has lens shift in both directions, and a motorized iris for improved contrast, and is just a bit more expensive than the A10X.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Not bad. good specs. But only a 2000hr lamp. And prices are less, though when I got mine I still paid 1/2 as much as the lowest price listed.

I'm more partial to 3-4k hr units.

Victor

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd
As a fellow A10x'er, I too have felt the upgrade bug, especially since I've already installed 2 4805s.

But the deal breaker for me, like you, is throw. I have a small room (13ft throw). I already have a 103" 4:3 and I'm sitting less than 1.5x from the screen. So now resolution is also important. Having XGA resolution at least minimizes that. I can't see myself buying a 854x480-type pj since I'll make out SDE way too easily from that distance. And lets not talk about contrast. I already know about that...
Then what ever happened to that "killer 132'' screen" you were talking about two days ago? :confused:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
htpc,

That's my clients theater. I don't have the throw in my own theater.

Victor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.