S-VHS output of DirecTV,

S-VHS output of cable box,

All wired to an AV receiver,

Monitor output to S-VHS input of DVDO

Also, component output of DVD player

Component ouput of HDTV cable box

All wired to the same receiver,

Monitor output to component input of DVDO

And finally, VGA output of DVDO to VGA input of a panny plasma.

What would the pros and cons be.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
HDTV and progressive scan sources should go directly to the TV, the DVDO only accepts interlaced source material.

Digital cable and digital satellite receivers, try the composite output when viewing analog channels. If the analog channel picture looks better with composite, you will need both composite and S-video lines coming out of those recivers going into the DVDO.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hmmm,

I would do the following:

HDTV cable box output => PLASMA TV

DVD component output => PLASMA TV

DirecTV S-VHS output => ISCAN V2 input 1

VCR S-VHS output => ISCAN V2 input 2

Cable box composite output => ISCAN V2 input 3

ISCAN V2 output => PLASMA TV

Explaination:

=========

The HDTV progressive output should go directly to the TV, because as Allan stated, the ISCAN only handles interlaced inputs.

The DVD I am connecting to the TV directly because I have found that for DVD sources the ISCAN improvement is very minor, and then the picture is a bit soft (which some might like).

The DirecTV receiver naturally should uses a S-VHS input of the ISCAN. Note that there will be some improvement, but it also depends on the DirecTV channel compression (HBO, sports looks really good...).

The VCR being a S-VHS can benefit from the ISCAN, so it gets a channel.

To be really frank, I haven't seen much video quality differences between the S-VHS and the composite output of many cable boxes. It could be that the video quality of cable is inherently worse than satellite, so ISCAN won't help much.

FINALLY, YOU PROBABLY NOTICE THAT I SPECIFIED AN "ISCAN V2" (which has the 2 S-Video inputs and 1-composite input), IF YOU HAVE THE "ISCAN PRO", then a possible scenario is: Wire the DVD into the ISCAN PRO input 1, wire the cable box directly to the TV.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good advice above.

One more thing: when we hook up a new source to our set (such as perhaps the iScan in your case), we tend to immediately attribute the picture quality to the new source, when more often the biggest changes are due to an uncalibrated input on the TV. Unless and until you have your set's 480p input calibrated for maximum performance (preferably with the iScan in the signal path) you will not know where you stand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.