AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions:

I am missing 15-20 DVDs... It seems my former tenant or less likely one of the contractors who have been working on my house have taken various DVD's... When you're busy or have a lot of DVD's (around 900), it takes a while to notice.... I'm just really pissed off right now. At least 5 were taken by my formaer tenant who wasn't going to say anything until I happen to see them in his room, then he moved out and wasn't going to tell me... Besides getting ready to go postal, I was wondering if DVD Tracker is what I should use from now on... How long will it take me to enter 900 DVD's? Any other advice?

I was also wondering what you use for physical labels on your DVD Racks... I have a Billy Bags 1000 DVD rack and was thinking it would be nice to label the sections: Drama, Action Adventure, etc... Anyone sell veclcro lables, engraved labels, or do you just print something from Microsoft word and stick it on the rack?

Thanks,

Chris

· Registered
5 Posts
You could use localized software. I use a program called collectorz movie collector. You can add several movies in batch mode and it will download movie information including covers based on UPC or title. Get yurself a barcode reader and youll go through those 900 in no time.

They have a free trial, might be worth checkin out.

collectorz.com

There is also another program called DVDProfiler.

I belive they also have a free trial.

I wasn't Impressed with the cover quality on this one.

I get teh covers from dvdempire using collectorz and they look pretty good.

· Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DVD Profiler: I think that is the one I meant to say. Isn't that the one used by Mario's Cinemar suite? Perhaps since I plan on using that someday, I should use DVD Profiler?

I believe the quality of the cover art is poor only the free version?? I think when you pay for the better version you get high resolution cover art...

I like the bar coder idea. Can I just get a USB bar coder for cheap, plug it in, and then just scan away? Anyopne else do this and have a recommendation on either software or the barcode reader?

Also, to my other question again:

Quote:
I was also wondering what you use for physical labels on your DVD Racks... I have a Billy Bags 1000 DVD rack and was thinking it would be nice to label the sections: Drama, Action Adventure, etc... Anyone sell 'velcro' lables, engraved labels, or do you just print something from Microsoft word and stick it on the rack?

· Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Health Nut

I believe the quality of the cover art is poor only the free version?? I think when you pay for the better version you get high resolution cover art...

I like the bar coder idea. Can I just get a USB bar coder for cheap, plug it in, and then just scan away? Anyopne else do this and have a recommendation on either software or the barcode reader?

Yes, when you pay the 20 bucks you get hi-res art and no ads. It's worth every penny.

Also, a barcode reader is mandatory, IMO, if you have more than a hundred titles or so. I borrowed a cheap barcode reader that plugged into the keyboard port and it worked great. I scanned 750 titles and it still took two nights!! :p DVDProfiler has a plugin for a scanner built into it. No hassles.

· Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool,

I guess I'll just do a search on a USB barcode reader:

I have a wireless Tablet PC and I guess I could just plug in a USB barcoder... sounds like a plan (?)

Now if I could just find out what king of labeling system people use to mount to there DVD racks... I just think that would be cool... I'm imagining something like a metal engaving with some sort of sticky surface or velcro...???

· Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kram... Was that sarcasm mode on? Not sure... anyway, I thought there were other advantages to DVD profiler also... perhaps that is a good way to let your guest browse your selection as well... you know when guests come over and you let them pick out a movie... instead of going to the rack, perhaps they could broswe the list on Profiler? Never did any of this stuff before...

· Registered
897 Posts
DVDprofiler does a number of things for inventory reasons I find beneficial. For one, it stores your collection both on your PC and on the Internet. Having been robbed before where the thieves took my computers along with them I didn't want to have a list that stayed only in the house. There's no way I could possibly recall all the DVDs I have if they walked out with them. That coupled with the barcode reader for instant entry and it's pretty unbeatable.

· Registered
7,570 Posts
The one I borrowed was called a Scancat, I think. It was a wand actually shaped like a cat! It wasn't USB, it went inline with the keyboard. I think you could get them at Radio Shack, but I don't think they have them anymore.

· Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaymstr
It is called Cue Cat. You can get them cheap on the web. It will work well enough for what you want to do. No reason to spend more than $10 on a bar code scanner.
That's it!!!

· Registered
630 Posts
Here's my system and it is FAST, INEXPENSIVE, SPACE-SAVING, PORTABLE and SECURE.

Put all of your DVDs in binders and use an orange round sticky on each occupied pocket. You can audit your collection fast by flipping through each binder (25 pages = 200 DVDs) in less than a minute. The bonus is a monumental space savings.

And 'visitors' ala your contractor will probably not even notice the binders. Even if they find out they are not likely to steal them since the cash value of the disks without cases is virtually nil.

And when you move or go on a trip it is easier to lug them around.

Your insurance company will love it and so will you.

· Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use Case Logic binders for my CD's, but I rather like having the DVD cases out on shelves for display/browsing, but your point is well taken. I love that approach for CD, but just not for DVD... oh, I don't know...

In any case, I paid for the $25.00 DVD Profiler and a $99.00 shipped USB barcode reader...

· Registered
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaymstr
It is called Cue Cat. You can get them cheap on the web. It will work well enough for what you want to do. No reason to spend more than $10 on a bar code scanner.
Are there really folks on the web still selling CueCats? I haven't seen one in ages (I'm Ebay-phobic these days which may be why)

· Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmike
Are there really folks on the web still selling CueCats? I haven't seen one in ages (I'm Ebay-phobic these days which may be why)
This kind of stuff is one of the reasons to get over that phobia. Dozens of cue cats up for

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.