AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home cinema setup, with a dvd player and amp that perform brilliantly with music, i have a paradigm pdr10 sub hooked up using a subwoofer phono cable, which i use along with my mordaunt short 902 speakers

http://www.mordaunt-short.co.uk/products/902.html

My questions are: should i use my sub when listening to music ?

If i were to use an attenuated phono interconnect between my dvd player and amp (phono lead reduces output by 14db) would i find that the sub is 14 db's too loud ?

thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
In my opinion, you should definitely use the sub for music. Those 902's may be wonderful speakers, but they are not capable of (cleanly) reproducing much of the bass that is in the music you probably listen to every day.

As a rule, deep base is very difficult for speakers to handle and you’ll pay a great deal of money for ones that can do it cleanly. Notice how the frequency range on the 902s is from 55hz to 22khz. There are many instruments that play well below 55hz (bass/kick drums, bass guitars, pianos, are just a couple of examples). The 902’s will give you some output below 55hz, but they’ll distort the sound in the process because it’s so difficult for them. If you use the sub for music, then it will take the strain off of the 902’s, and they’ll actually sound better because they will not need to shoulder the burden of reproducing deep and challenging base.

I’ll let someone else handle the connection question, but in the end, calibrating the sub so it’s balanced with your other speakers should not be a problem regardless of how you connect it.

Good Luck,

--Steve

·
Registered
337 Posts
As someone who has added a sub especially for music about 6 months ago... definitely.

With a note of caution.

You will almost certainly want the sub turned much lower for music... depending on how you like your music!!!

Start by checking where your speakers roll off, which may not be the 55Hz noted. If there is a graph that is good, but with the assumption that the 55Hz mark is -3dB, set the sub to ssay 60Hz so that one rolls off as the other rolls in, and start with the sub set very low in volume and gradually increase it until it overpowers the music.

Then just live with it a while and adjust to suit.

It should add a whole new dimension to your enjoyment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Try it with and without the sub and see which way you like it better. I like the sound better with the sub on 2 channel music; my wife doesn't.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't understand your setup. Phono lead? Please describe in more detail and I'll try to help you set it up correctly.

Subs with music are great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.