AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I bought Onkyo NR1007 which has biampability of fronts via surround back channels, I will give it a try for biamping.

I am using AudioQuest type 4 which has 4 wires of pair of thick and thin cables. Currently I am biwiring using thick cable for woofer and thin cable to tweeter.

It seems there are three options for biamping:

1. biamping with existing type 4 without buying any new speaker cable;

2. buy same type4 and use two type 4's for woofer and tweeter, respectively

3. buy (or use) different speaker cable for tweeter and use existing type4 for woofer

Which is the best choice for me?

Also, should the length of each of the cable for biamping be same length of the other one? For example, if tweeter line is 10 feet but woofer line is 15 feet, is there a problem?

Please guide me. Thank you.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The answer to your question would be option 1. It would be good not spend any more money on this because you aren't likely to hear a significant improvement.

Bi-amping can provide a large improvement in speaker performance, but only when it is teamed with an electronic crossover, and has been properly designed into the speaker system. Good commercial examples of this are available as studio monitors from Macke and JBL, amongst others. In these designs, the electronic crossover, amplifiers, speaker drivers and enclosure have all been designed as a system. The result is more than the sum of the parts. If you bi-amp with full-range signals into the amplifiers, and passive crossovers after the amplifiers, the result is less than the sum of the parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.