Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I got this cable.

It is 5 pieces of RG59U cable (25' each) with 5 BNCs on each end all kept together by black expandable (when you push the ends together) protective tubing. I am not sure if the BNCs are true 75 OHM.

So I guess my questions are.

Is RG59U suitable and is there any way to tell if the BNCs are good?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Why don't you hook up the cable and check out some test patterns?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Some of the better Canare line uses bundled RG59 in either 4 or 5 wire configuration's . Their flexible line of bundled is 21pf a foot (stranded) and their best is 17pf a foot (solid core)

Sound's like what you have will be alright, but you can alway's cut the BNC's off and order 75 ohm if your not sleeping because of it. :)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
He doesn't have the multichannel Canare cable, because it sounds like he's got 5 single coax lines wrapped in Techflex. (The black expandable thingy.) Multichannel Canare is wrapped in this massive ultrathick rubber housing with 5 strands of thick rope twisted in with the cable. I know, I had to practically use a saw to open up my Canare cable. :)

RG59U is pretty suitable I think. Though RG6 is the more ideal.

Do the BNCs show a white dielectric exposed around the center pin or not?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I use nothing but quad-shielded RG6. The price difference is so minimal compared to regular RG and RG59 it just didn't make much sense--of course, I've been told I don't make sense and have little sense so nevermind. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.