AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the starting stages of my theater room and the room was pre-wired for audio. I have the option to do 4 speakers. Two on the side and two behind the seating area. I'm wondering will I be able to notice 4 speakers in this room? I have sketched up the room layout (I'm at work so I had to use Paint) so it's not fancy. I also found a picture I took of the rear speaker outlets. The room is 18 feet long and 15 feet wide.

Red ovals are the speaker locations for side and back speakers. I don't mind spending the money for 4 speakers if I will be able to feel them but if not then I won't waste money on the sides. What do you think?

Rear speaker locations

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
How far off the rear wall is the seating location?

What does the large black space represent?

·
Registered
30,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711  /t/1469641/should-i-use-two-or-four-speakers-for-my-surround-setup#post_23236904

The room is 18 feet long and 15 feet wide.
In another thread you said that your viewing distance will be around 12-15 feet. IF you can place your seating at the 12-foot location (6 feet from the back wall), then you will accomplish 2 things: the location will give you smoother frequency response (smaller peaks & dips) and will be far enough from the back wall to give meaningful separation between your Side and Rear speakers. With that in mind, 4 surround speakers will have advantages over using only 2 surround speakers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry the large black area is not the floor plan, so when you look at that consider the gray area the theater room layout. The door entrance is right side of that black square. As for distance from rear the main seating area will be about 5 feet from it. The second row seating will be almost on top of them (1-2 foot away)

Ethan, 5th speaker is not a option here so I have to work with this setup. (Spray-in insulation in the walls & that vaulted ceiling is impossible to get to from otherside).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1469641/should-i-use-two-or-four-speakers-for-my-surround-setup#post_23237461

In another thread you said that your viewing distance will be around 12-15 feet. IF you can place your seating at the 12-foot location (6 feet from the back wall), then you will accomplish 2 things: the location will give you smoother frequency response (smaller peaks & dips) and will be far enough from the back wall to give meaningful separation between your Side and Rear speakers. With that in mind, 4 surround speakers will have advantages over using only 2 surround speakers.

Hey thanks for keeping up with my threads!

That is what I needed to know.

I have a lot of stuff coming in over this week and next week so the excitement is kicking in! My sub showed up today and I guess the box is 88 lbs....wow!

·
Registered
13,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711  /t/1469641/should-i-use-two-or-four-speakers-for-my-surround-setup#post_23237464

Sorry the large black area is not the floor plan, so when you look at that consider the gray area the theater room layout. The door entrance is right side of that black square. As for distance from rear the main seating area will be about 5 feet from it. The second row seating will be almost on top of them (1-2 foot away)

Ethan, 5th speaker is not a option here so I have to work with this setup. (Spray-in insulation in the walls & that vaulted ceiling is impossible to get to from otherside).

Huh?

You do have front left and right speakers along with a center channel, right?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711  /t/1469641/should-i-use-two-or-four-speakers-for-my-surround-setup#post_23237464

Ethan was just talking about how things are a 5-channel or 7-channel system.

You obviously have a front 3 already (just not shown in the picture) and are trying to decide whether to buy 2 more speakers (to make a 5-channel) or 4 more speakers (to make a 7-channel).

You have enough room for 7-channel...

...but very few things are actually recorded in 7-channel so it is only as good as your AVR can fake

A good 5-channel is better than spending the same money on a lesser 7-channel.

Spend most of your money on your front 3.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh sorry I just didn't put to much thought into it when he said I need 5. I just knew this is what I have to work with.

I'm going with Monitor Audio for all speakers, fronts and surround sound. Haven't got them yet though. I did get my outlaw LFM-1 EX today and wow that thing is amazing even on my old stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts