AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

i personally would not... i did that with a piece of electronics once, and proceeded to vacuum a piece right off a board...

i've never had a component croak because it got "too much dust" (and i'd hate to think of how much is inside some of mine
)... heck, i've had a couple survive "beer baths"... but i have killed a component by trying to clean them...

they are tougher than you think when it comes to surviving dust and grunge...

imo, ymmv, etc. i'm sure others will feel differently....

i WOULD ensure that the vents are not blocked with crud though...

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
I blow mine out with compressed air for my computer once and awhile. Keeps heat sinks clean and working as designed. Amazed by how much dust collects inside. I would not vacum directly inside the unit however.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19583721

i did that with a piece of electronics once, and proceeded to vacuum a piece right off a board...

Not a problem. Just be sure to memorize the value of every last resistor & capacitor on every board before you vacuum.

AJ

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

lol! nah, i shoulda just sent it to tuc...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

careful compressed air blasts are ok...

don't shoot it directly at the boards, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Using a vacuum on any electronics is NOT good practice.

Vacuums create static electricity, and electronic components do not like static electricity.

The only exception to this is if you don't care about the risk, or you use a anti-static vacuum cleaner such as this:

http://blowerselectric.com/metro-vac...ilter-reviews/

Go into any IT department, and you'll see cases of compressed air. That's what I use on all of my electronics.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 /forum/post/19583510

My Pioneer VSX-920-K is exposed to the air on a shelf so that it gets some ventilation.

Should I buy an electronics vacuum to keep the dust out?

Thanks!

After correctly reading your question:

it's practically impossible to keep dust out, unless maybe you place your rcvr in a perfect vacuum space or own a clean room such as used to make processors and hard drives.

Mr Literal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.