AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my living room TV, and I'm pretty much set on the Z9F as it fits my needs perfectly. I've seen the 65" model at Best buy and was really impressed with what I saw, and I've heard the 75" model is even better. I'm wondering if I should wait for a price drop though, as the Z9G was just released, and the Z9F should be getting discontinued pretty soon.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Purely from a consumer perspective, it's rather difficult to say, since there isn't a lot of history to follow on the Sony Z series models. In my opinion the Z9G doesn't exactly seem like a direct replacement for the Z9F, so again it doesn't help me to really guess at how things might play out. Some of the European X950G reviews suggested the Z9F was being discontinued, although the US pricing hasn't followed European pricing, so again I'm not sure how to judge if that's accurate and could result in near-term price drops or not. The prior model, the Z9D, had some drastic drops and lots of time spent at the same price. Since the Z9F just went through a 1/6th price drop roughly a month and a half ago, and basically no prior movement, I'm not really inclined to expect additional drops in the next quarter. On the other hand, the Z9D did go through some decent drops in the last quarter of the second year, and it sold for a very long time, so I guess you could wait for October or later if you wanted. All I can really say is that it's basically a given that there will be 10% ($500) cash back at Dell shortly, and 15%-20% ($750-$1000) may not happen until the last quarter of the year. I'm not interested in the Z9F at more than OLED prices for various reasons, but I guess $4k would be my target for the current $5k retail, so I'd probably start lower than that at Greentoe if I wanted it right now.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-XBR75Z9F-75-Inch-Ultra-BRAVIA/product/B07GC3BNXZ?context=search
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-XBR75Z9D-75-Inch-Ultra-Smart/product/B01HY6W1WW?context=search
https://www.cashbackmonitor.com/cashback-store/dell-consumer/best-rate-history/

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Boy picking a tv is such a personal thing. I have seen good reviews and bad reviews on this tv. 2019 doesn't seen to be a good year for tvs and honestly I don't know why. For example The sony 950g reviews are good to not so good. The blacks were better last year. In a dark room there is more blooming then last year which makes that tv a better tv for day time then night time viewing. Some honest expects feel sony dropped the ball on there leds this year on purpose because they pushing their OLED line. And if you think manufacturers don't do that ,think again, they do.But it is strange that last year sony's leds had better blacks and less blooming so they know how to build a tv with good black levels and less blooming. So consider last years models and you can find them at amazon. Now Samsung doesn't make a oled and said they never will, yet the 8fn is better for color ,black then this years q60,80 90.I don't know if Samsung is getting lazy or what, but TCL and Hisense are making better tvs every year and a lot of features found on the high end tvs. There not perfect but those 2 companies are making a run at the big boys for your dollar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Boy picking a tv is such a personal thing. I have seen good reviews and bad reviews on this tv. 2019 doesn't seen to be a good year for tvs and honestly I don't know why. For example The sony 950g reviews are good to not so good. The blacks were better last year. In a dark room there is more blooming then last year which makes that tv a better tv for day time then night time viewing. Some honest expects feel sony dropped the ball on there leds this year on purpose because they pushing their OLED line. And if you think manufacturers don't do that ,think again, they do.But it is strange that last year sony's leds had better blacks and less blooming so they know how to build a tv with good black levels and less blooming. So consider last years models and you can find them at amazon. Now Samsung doesn't make a oled and said they never will, yet the 8fn is better for color ,black then this years q60,80 90.I don't know if Samsung is getting lazy or what, but TCL and Hisense are making better tvs every year and a lot of features found on the high end tvs. There not perfect but those 2 companies are making a run at the big boys for your dollar.
From what I have read, both Sony and Samsung made changes for 2019 whereby the viewing angle is better, but black levels are not quite as good.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm looking to replace my living room TV, and I'm pretty much set on the Z9F as it fits my needs perfectly. I've seen the 65" model at Best buy and was really impressed with what I saw, and I've heard the 75" model is even better. I'm wondering if I should wait for a price drop though, as the Z9G was just released, and the Z9F should be getting discontinued pretty soon.

Video & Audio Center recently had them for $3998. They sold out in a day while I debated. But I think I have decided to wait until next year anyway at this point.

Hard to say if waiting will get you where you want to be on price.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you waited this long, you’re in luck ...

The 65Z9F is now $1798 and the 75Z9F is $2798.

Bob

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
If you waited this long, you’️re in luck ...

Bob
LoL....6 months later you’re responding. Haha

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you waited this long, you’re in luck ...

Bob
I actually bought an A9G, but I returned it because it had a dead ARC port. I'm probably going to get the Z9F, unless I snap and get the Z9G as it just got a price drop too. Now at the affordable price of $9999.99!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts