AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need opinions. I got a boat load of home movies from my VHS camcorder as well as D8. Hi8 and MiniDV. Of course I need to get them on DVD. Would I gain anything by waiting X-number of years to do this with the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD recorders or should I just do it now with one of the current DVD recorders?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What do you think the future formats will offer you that you can't do with the current format? Those aren't HD programs you're wanting to put on DVD. The only gain I can think of is being able to fit more video on one disc. And I bet that media won't be cheap.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyGuy
What do you think the future formats will offer you that you can't do with the current format? Those aren't HD programs you're wanting to put on DVD. The only gain I can think of is being able to fit more video on one disc. And I bet that media won't be cheap.
Exactly - there's no reason to wait. Prices are way done, and performance is, well, excellent. This is the perfect time to buy a recorder. You'll get a few good years use out of it before HD recorders and media become affordable. And as HealeyGuy mentioned, given your media sources, the DVDs you make today will be just as good as the ones you make 2-3 years from now from those same sources.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'd wait. Why have fun now with a fairly mature format (DVD)?

You should wait until HD DVD/Blu Ray first hits the street and then be an early adopter for HD DVD/Blu-ray recording and you can enjoy all the heartache and frustration that I had dealing with the growing pains of standalone DVD recording for the past three years. Now I'm having fun and I'm not going to touch high capacity optical disc recording for at least five years AFTER its first released to the conusmer and hopefully you will have worked all the bugs out.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Myself I'm waiting but I'm probably one of the few people on this board that doesn't even own a store bought DVD. I do rent them though but I decided when they first came out that the resolution just wasn't there compared to HDTV so why invest in buying movies that are only going to be redone in an HDTV format. I do check my video tape collection every now & then & so far all my tapes seem to be holding up ok so I have no intentions of transfering them to a format that's going to be come obsolute. Plus who knows what kind of upconversion circuits HD-DVD might have to clean up the video tapes & etc & maybe even turn our video tapes into High-Def Wide-Screen pictures that are better than our original tapes. :D

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
The reasons offered above are all valid which leads me to say I would not, and did not, wait for HD/BR unless I was prepared to wait for a long, long time. When HD/BR hits the streets the first question everyone will be asking is "which one will win". Everyone remembers beta vs. VHS and draws the parallel -- which means no one believes both formats will survive. No one wants to pick the loser so a lot of people, including me, will leisurely sit on the fence until it is clear which way the wind will blow in the format war.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Plus who knows what kind of upconversion circuits HD-DVD might have to clean up the video tapes & etc & maybe even turn our video tapes into High-Def Wide-Screen pictures that are better than our original tapes.
Dream on. Lol! For me, PQ is only one aspect of converting from tape to disc. Let's not forget the superiority of the format from a form factor and navigation standpoint. You may be holding out for the highest PQ and you may not be too concerned about the longevity of your tapes, but who wants to spend all that time ffwd to reach a certain spot in a movie or having to rewind a tape after viewing. No thanks. I am not going to forgo the other advantages of the disc format waiting for HIGH DEFINITION optical disc technology to mature.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Believe it or not I hardly watch much of my video tapes at all & when I do I just put them in & play them without FF or messing around with them & the only time I might be FF them is to find a certain tv episode & then I just use the "Index Search System" to locate it & no it isn't almost instant like DVDs but I can wait the minute or so that it takes to find something. Don't get me wrong DVDs are great but I just can't see buying them or transfering tapes to them when I knew in the not so distant future I would be able to buy a recorder that would go with our HDTV system that is going to be around for quite a few years before that changes & then it would be time to start buying DVDs & transfering my video tapes. And I would ask the question, "How many times in the future do you want to keep transfering the same old stuff?" I think electronics companies in the future should think about using one format for quite a few years because if they keep changing all the time the public is going to get themselves into the DON'T BUY IT NOW BECAUSE NEXT YEAR THERE WILL BE SOMETHING BETTER which could really hurt the electronics business if people start thinking like that & as was mentioned they had better start working together & never mind the FORMAT WARS because that's the biggest way to turn the public off & the other thing is to over-price any new format. Look what happened to S-VHS, 8MM, Hi-8MM & the Mini-Disc all because they were over-priced & the main buying public could do without them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
1. Trasferring from Standard Definition (SD) sources to HD doesn't result in better quality. Quality remains the same (or a little bit better thanks to some signal processing).

2. Who knows, whether in a few years you will be in the same situation, because of upcoming new standards (red ray, white ray or something like that?). Who knows?

3. Format war: Blue Ray and HD DVD are diferent media, not the same situation as for + and - these days. Who knows, which one will be the winner? Or, much worse, they share market and you will have to choose between them?

4. Today, you can buy cheap DVD media which can remain your cassette recording in good condition for many years. So, I suggest, you shouldn't wait, just seat down, turn on your analog machines, your DVD recorder too and dub, dub, dub... :D

Cheers :cool:

ArtS

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Bill1313, WOW! stop and take a breath. I agree with what you said, but way you wrote it sounded almost maniacal--or was that the point?

I am not exactly sure what I am waiting for in terms of HD recording, BUT I was disheartened to read recently that in order to get Fox to sign on as a BluRay format provider, they added ADDITIONAL copy protection. I wonder if BR/DVD HD recorders will ever be able to record any HD material with all the flags, keys, and protections. When all the broadcasts go digital, home recording may be a thing of the past. I'm SURE that is what the content providers want. I'm in no hurry to adopt something only to find out it will be next-to-useless.

Where is Logic Design? He is going to have his work cut out for him.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Church, I think what you are referring to is for pre-recorded DVDs. BR & HD use the same copy protection system, but BR has added a couple more "safeguards" they are touting to make their format appeal more to the movie studios. These are aimed at preventing disk piracy by duplication or by cracking the decryption key.

It will be a long time before a DVD Decrypter for HD/BR appears -- if ever. Another reason I'm not holding my breath for HD/BR.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The FOX deal is for prerecorded BR disks, yes, but there are digital broadcast keys and flags preventing our recording of that data. There are many layers of protection to prevent "fair use" copies of commercially pressed disks. It will be a miracle if we can actually play media we have actually purchased since it will have to be on a compatable machine with the right HDMI plug and a compliant display device to work. As far as recording is concerned, I sometimes wonder if hi-def recorders will ever be able to record any hi-def content except the commercials and Sunrise America.

I agree with you completely: if a digital content decrypter appears, it will take time, and might not work too well. I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see attitude before plunging into hi-def recording.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313
Believe it or not I hardly watch much of my video tapes at all & when I do I just put them in & play them without FF or messing around with them & the only time I might be FF them is to find a certain tv episode & then I just use the "Index Search System" to locate it & no it isn't almost instant like DVDs but I can wait the minute or so that it takes to find something. Don't get me wrong DVDs are great but I just can't see buying them or transfering tapes to them when I knew in the not so distant future I would be able to buy a recorder that would go with our HDTV system that is going to be around for quite a few years before that changes & then it would be time to start buying DVDs & transfering my video tapes. And I would ask the question, "How many times in the future do you want to keep transfering the same old stuff?" I think electronics companies in the future should think about using one format for quite a few years because if they keep changing all the time the public is going to get themselves into the DON'T BUY IT NOW BECAUSE NEXT YEAR THERE WILL BE SOMETHING BETTER which could really hurt the electronics business if people start thinking like that & as was mentioned they had better start working together & never mind the FORMAT WARS because that's the biggest way to turn the public off & the other thing is to over-price any new format. Look what happened to S-VHS, 8MM, Hi-8MM & the Mini-Disc all because they were over-priced & the main buying public could do without them.
...he said, frothing at the mouth

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy
As far as recording is concerned, I sometimes wonder if hi-def recorders will ever be able to record any hi-def content except the commercials and Sunrise America.
I have expressed this sentiment in another thread. I wonder if anyone actually believes the media industry will allow digital HD copying to make archive copies. They make a LOT of money selling DVDs of TV shows which they want to protect. I'll bet they only go so far as to allow the use of a PVR, like you can get in a cable or sat box, for HD time-shifting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by probepro
Exactly - there's no reason to wait. Prices are way done, and performance is, well, excellent. This is the perfect time to buy a recorder. You'll get a few good years use out of it before HD recorders and media become affordable. And as HealeyGuy mentioned, given your media sources, the DVDs you make today will be just as good as the ones you make 2-3 years from now from those same sources.
I will not wait for HD-DVD or blueray, but I will wait one with ATSC tuner. I am not going to buy a DVD recorder with obsolete tuner.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alrighty then. Thanks everybody for your input. Good discussion. I decided to order a DVD recorder and like a poster said...I'll be ready to dub, dub dub! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.