AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so it looks like all the trouble my system has been having with hibernate and my QAM channels was related to my HVR1600 tuner card. I took it out last night and have been running smoothly since. With the computer running almost all day and then going into hibernate when told without a problem. I will put the card back in tomorrow just to check for sure.

Now to my real question: Should I go ahead and buy a new tuner, preferably a dual QAM/SD tuner for my HTPC or should I wait for the new Ceton cards that are said to be released next month? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I had planned to if the money was there when the card came out. I love to be able to record HD channels and have everything integrated into my HTPC.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you plan on getting digital cable installed in your house, getting the HD package, and going the cablecard route, then wait for the Ceton.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It all depends on if you want other then the local HD digital channels available with the 1600 card or aretherefore willing to spend the money for a cable card tuner and for the supscription fees and cable card lease to the cable company for the non local channel supscriptions. If not we need find the cause of your "hibernation" problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I love the idea of getting all my channels in HD with out worrying about a set-top box as being a college student I am always moving and it would be one less thing to worry about.

I have tried finding a definitive answer to Hibernation problem yet I cannot track this thing down. Everything runs smoothly when the tuner card is not present, yet when it is, the same problem persists. I went two days with the card out of the computer and had not one hiccup. When I put the card back in, the problems came back and I could not hibernate at all. I feel like it's related to the card when it tries to record any shows. Something doesn't get shut down, and the system hangs when trying to hibernate. If I could fix the hibernation problem with the card it would give me more time to wait for a decent priced cable card to come to public.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you tried disabling hibernation and just using sleep? My system sleeps at 0.02watts so its pretty negligible power usage. I never liked hibernation and pretty much use sleep without any issues. I'm using HDhomerun so I don't have a tuner in my computer but I will be getting Ceton as soon as it starts shipping.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Hibernation is only of any real benefit when you are usiing a laptop that is running on batteries only. Otherwise Sleep since it uses so little power and recovers so much faster is a lot better in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex /forum/post/18192964

Have you tried disabling hibernation and just using sleep? My system sleeps at 0.02watts so its pretty negligible power usage. I never liked hibernation and pretty much use sleep without any issues. I'm using HDhomerun so I don't have a tuner in my computer but I will be getting Ceton as soon as it starts shipping.

+1 on the HDHomerun. Super easy to install, no heat and available to any computer on your network. Can't wait till the cable card version comes out.

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would wait for it too, but it looks like ceton will be available first. i need to get rid of my Tivo so whoever gets to the market first, is the one i get

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when you talk about sleep are you talking hybrid sleep or just s1 sleep? My computer supports hybrid sleep. When I try to use normal s1 sleep the computer never truly turns off. The cpu fan still runs along with everything else. I have tried hybrid sleep yet I get the same kind of errors just as if I would try hibernating.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/18194157

+1 on the HDHomerun. Super easy to install, no heat and available to any computer on your network. Can't wait till the cable card version comes out.

Mike

I'm waiting now on the cablecard version myself... My HD-PVR can only do so much...

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beankid /forum/post/18209215

when you talk about sleep are you talking hybrid sleep or just s1 sleep? My computer supports hybrid sleep. When I try to use normal s1 sleep the computer never truly turns off. The cpu fan still runs along with everything else. I have tried hybrid sleep yet I get the same kind of errors just as if I would try hibernating.

I'm talking about S3 sleep. I disabled hybrid sleep. when i sleep my computer, everything powers off except RAM. fan stops spinning, network is out, sleep light blinks no HDD activity

1 - 14 of 14 Posts