AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 42" samsung from 2005 just fritzed on me... held out for exactly 5 years.

For a replacement I am thinking I would like something to get me through the next 5 years where the next gen technologies really are cleaned up and perhaps cheaper (e.g., networking, VOD, OLED, what have you)

Finding some great prices on G15 which I like. However, no NetFlix on the G15 (and it looks like that is final decision on that from Panasonic) means its a no go. New 2010s do have the Netflix.

So question is should I wait (and pay a little more) for the G25s coming out presumably in APril (vs. Feb/March, as i) I want a 46" and ii) the 42" has already slipped from Feb/March to March/April) -- or should I get something else off-the-shelf today? (any recommendations welcome/appreciated)

I am fine waiting till april if that is where the value is. I 100% want Netflix. I will actually use the Skype add-on as well (I use skype video today on my laptop 3-4 times a week).

And unless I just spend like $400-500 bucks then I want my TV to last 5 years if I drop $1K (or in the G25 case closer to $1.5K). Hopefully it will last over 5 years this time...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there any information on the G25 availble yet? Specs etc, approx pricing, etc? I havent seen anything on it but would like to get a Panasonic, I cant find any G15's left they seem to have dried up, and those that are out there are about $300 more than they were several months ago.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas440 /forum/post/18164651

Is there any information on the G25 availble yet? Specs etc, approx pricing, etc? I havent seen anything on it but would like to get a Panasonic, I cant find any G15's left they seem to have dried up, and those that are out there are about $300 more than they were several months ago.

A few threads on them on AVS and elsewhere. CNET is the one that reviewed them in person just recently and is pretty positive on the black ratio etc.

Official Panasonic Website

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtanu /forum/post/18164305

Thank you. How strongly do you feel about this?

*shrug*

1. You said that you don't really mind waiting.

2. You said that you do care about Netflix and Skype.

3. Time will tell, but the G25 appears to be a significant improvement over the G10/15 -- not just one of these model changes like (maybe for example) the U12 to U22 LCD or C1 to C2 plasma where there is just an obligatory bump in the bogus contrast ratio claim and perhaps no significant improvement -- but an actual step forward.

4. There is at least the hope that black level issue will be less of an issue.

I guess that just leaves cost. Pricing is pretty good on the 46" G10/15 right now, but nevertheless, I'd wait. The G25 just seems like enough of an improvement that it's worth waiting and spending a little more money for, IMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why would anyone buy a Panasonic, given their refusal to acknowledge a design defect that no other plasma company seems to have (ie the black level issues?)

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandabby /forum/post/18166445

Why would anyone buy a Panasonic, given their refusal to acknowledge a design defect that no other plasma company seems to have (ie the black level issues?)

Because one screw up does not mean they are not the best still tv in the market.

I own a black level risen G10. It is still the best picture for the price. They fixed THX mode which is now statistically ref. quality.

The 2010 Panasonics may start with such a low MLL that even with a doubling they will beat the competion in this and most other areas.

I would buy a 2010 in a second after testing proves them to be better.

greg

·
Registered
1,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas440 /forum/post/18164651

Panasonic US's website has the G20/G25 info and MSRP up now...for the OP, it depends on how long you can hold out. I just demo'd a G10 vs. a Sam. B650...both are relatively great TVs, super punchy, accurate color, etc...if you wait for the new ones you will get a marginal improvement in several areas, but after you get it home, you'd most likely never know the different between a G10 and G20, my opinion.

That said, I'm waiting for the G20
Hey, I've waited this long...

·
Registered
803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmp /forum/post/18166498

Because one screw up does not mean they are not the best still tv in the market.

I own a black level risen G10. It is still the best picture for the price. They fixed THX mode which is now statistically ref. quality.

The 2010 Panasonics may start with such a low MLL that even with a doubling they will beat the competion in this and most other areas.

I would buy a 2010 in a second after testing proves them to be better.

greg

This is the big question. What will be the final MLL and how long will it take to reach it?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Hold on first maybe i read wrong but if i understood right you wanted to get away with getting a new flat screen with only $400-$500 ??? unless you want a smaller then 42" you wont find a new tv for sub $500 the lowest entry level is around $700. with that being said if you want a tv that will hold you for 5 more years in terms of what? just to last that long or do you want to hold the top picture quality without buying mutiple tvs over the course of time?

if thats the case you need like a pioneer but those are are way up there so if out of your range get panasonic plasma and oled wont be standard for a while.

another thing i wanted to point out is that people often pay for features that you can avoild paying such as netflix you can have that on your ps3 or 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtanu /forum/post/18162692

My 42" samsung from 2005 just fritzed on me... held out for exactly 5 years.

For a replacement I am thinking I would like something to get me through the next 5 years where the next gen technologies really are cleaned up and perhaps cheaper (e.g., networking, VOD, OLED, what have you)

Finding some great prices on G15 which I like. However, no NetFlix on the G15 (and it looks like that is final decision on that from Panasonic) means its a no go. New 2010s do have the Netflix.

So question is should I wait (and pay a little more) for the G25s coming out presumably in APril (vs. Feb/March, as i) I want a 46" and ii) the 42" has already slipped from Feb/March to March/April) -- or should I get something else off-the-shelf today? (any recommendations welcome/appreciated)

I am fine waiting till april if that is where the value is. I 100% want Netflix. I will actually use the Skype add-on as well (I use skype video today on my laptop 3-4 times a week).

And unless I just spend like $400-500 bucks then I want my TV to last 5 years if I drop $1K (or in the G25 case closer to $1.5K). Hopefully it will last over 5 years this time...

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/18167837

Hold on first maybe i read wrong but if i understood right you wanted to get away with getting a new flat screen with only $400-$500 ???

The OP meant that unless they could get a nice flat screen for that price, if they're otherwise going to be spending $1-1.5k on a TV, it better last at least 5 years and I agree. Heck I'm probably going to spend 1.5k on the G25 and would like it to last much longer (obviously something else is going to come along in that time that will make me want to upgrade though).

Netflix on the TV is of zero importance to me since I use it on the 360 (stupid MS and their stupid HD streaming exclusivity) but from all I've read the G25 will be enough of an improvement over the G10 that it will be worth waiting another month or two (hey I'm stuck on a 30" CRT, but I guess that's better than the OPs no working TV). Better blacks, better contrast, better anti-glare, lower power, lighter weight, potentially better handling of rising blacks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts