AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since SHO preserves the OAR on 2.35:1 movies, I think I should be worrying about the little black bars on the top and bottom of the picture. I have a 46" Mits HDTV. What do you all think about this?

------------------
ADebar's DVD Profiler

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
If your set is in "torch" mode (factory contrast & brightness settings), then yes, you could be asking for trouble.

On the other hand, if you use AVIA or Video Essentials for display set up, or have had a ISF performed, brief non-16:9 viewing should not result in CRT burn in for many years, if at all.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Assuming you do not watch 2:35:1 movies 24 hours a day (Sho doesn't show them that much... yet) without shutting your set of for a few weeks, then you'll be fine.

Burn-in is just a propaganda tactic of the anti-OAR crowd.

Sho bars are actually not completely black and there is a variability in programming not to worry. Advice above is still excellent (and you should do it regardless of black bars...)

Pitch Black, even though "just" an upconvert on now has DD Sound that blows away any HBO presentation, so sit back & relax and soak in the experience.

Tim

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Tim,

After watching Gladiator and the Patriot on HBO HD, I couldn't disagree with you more about Sho upconverts blowing away any HBO presentation.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Tim,

Sorry, I misread your post. I didn't realize you were referring to the DD sound. Next time I'll put on my glasses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.