AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 50pz700/750u for my livingroom and have a lighting vs glare specific question. Most watching will be during the night; however, there will be times when I will be watching sports during the afternoon. The TV will be situated on a wall that is perpendicular to sliding glass doors. Full length vertical blinds can cover the glass doors and I will be viewing from about 12' directly in front of the TV and about 7' to the right of the glass doors (the center of the TV is also 7" from the doors). Drawing the verticals will block light and wil darken the room, but it will still certainly be daylight but dimmer. Given these parameters, should I worry about glare?

An after thought: How does the pz700/750u do on SD?

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster /forum/post/12977203

I am considering a 50pz700/750u for my livingroom and have a lighting vs glare specific question. Most watching will be during the night; however, there will be times when I will be watching sports during the afternoon. The TV will be situated on a wall that is perpendicular to sliding glass doors. Full length vertical blinds can cover the glass doors and I will be viewing from about 12' directly in front of the TV and about 7' to the right of the glass doors (the center of the TV is also 7" from the doors). Drawing the verticals will block light and wil darken the room, but it will still certainly be daylight but dimmer. Given these parameters, should I worry about glare?

An after thought: How does the pz700/750u do on SD?

Here's an older Glare/Reflection thread with pictures that may shed some light on your issue

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=1#post9182361

Note that i now have a PZ700U and it's a little less reflective than my older PX50U shown in the pictures.

Oh, and SD on my PZ700U looks great, but i do get an excellent feed from my cable company. It really depends on your source though.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
The images rendered by any phosphor based display suffer when viewed during times of bright direct/indirect daylight.

Newer generations of PDPs w/anti-glare screen coating do a better job w/bright sunlit conditions than older generations that did not have anti-glare coating.

Some individuals seem to prefer the image rendered by plasma displays w/o the anti-glare screen coating.

The bottom line is, PDPs excel with fast motion (e.g. sports programming) and rendering digital HD content & DVDs in dimly lit environments; while LCDs are better for static images, gaming and daylight viewing.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/12977515

The images rendered by any phosphor based display suffer when viewed during times of bright direct/indirect daylight.

Newer generations of PDPs w/anti-glare screen coating do a better job w/bright sunlit conditions than older generations that did not have anti-glare coating.

Some individuals seem to prefer the image rendered by plasma displays w/o the anti-glare screen coating.

The bottom line is, PDPs excel with fast motion (e.g. sports programming) and rendering digital HD content & DVDs in dimly lit environments; while LCDs are better for static images, gaming and daylight viewing.

I dont think the anti glare coating is even noticeable when watching the TV (Samsung DP-T5084) However, at extreme left or right viewing angles (almost 180 degrees) the pictures gets blurry, I attribute this to the anti glare filter on my TV. I did not notice the same blurryness from the side angles on other TV's without anti glare/reflective coatings in the store.

In the end I purchased the samsung because it has a swiveling base so if Im watching from the dining room or kitchen, I can just turn the TV!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/12977510

Here's an older Glare/Reflection thread with pictures that may shed some light on your issue

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=1#post9182361

Note that i now have a PZ700U and it's a little less reflective than my older PX50U shown in the pictures.

Oh, and SD on my PZ700U looks great, but i do get an excellent feed from my cable company. It really depends on your source though.

Thanks, Randy, for your helpful answer to my question. Actually, I have a 52" Sony rear projection TV in the place where the new panny will go, and I have no problem viewing it in daylight, and of course it is even somewhat better when the blinds are drawn. However, i must say that when the set is off, there is reflection on the screen...but that certainly is livable. Thus, I'm now sure that a plasma tv won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster /forum/post/12986632

Thanks, Randy, for your helpful answer to my question. Actually, I have a 52" Sony rear projection TV in the place where the new panny will go, and I have no problem viewing it in daylight, and of course it is even somewhat better when the blinds are drawn. However, i must say that when the set is off, there is reflection on the screen...but that certainly is livable. Thus, I'm now sure that a plasma tv won't be a problem.

If your 52" Sony RPTV the kind with the super glossy reflective outer screen? If so, the plasma will surely be better. Got any pics of the room you can post?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts