AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started using a cambridge a300 int amp today (first few hours) and there's kind of a metalic/rubber smell coming out of it. Nothing huge like a PB12 going up in flames or anything, but if you stick your face over the amp it's definitely there. There's also two red lights visible through the vent. I'm using my computer as a source at the moment. Am I just getting over my allergies, or is there something odd about this? Thanks.

Another low level question: What's the proper on/off connect/disconnect order for switching between this amp and just a pair of computer speakers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
That is an interesting question!

I'm "breaking in" my MonsterPower AVS2000, and I have the same smell coming from it. I was hoping it's the circuitry inside. It's not "potent" but it is there, and from your description, it sounds exactly what I'm experiencing, but on a voltage regulator!

Interesting.

Chris

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it's kind of manufacturer specific - but the lights? (I'm used to PC innards where lid leds are bad news.)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
LOL! That's the smell of Chris! hehehe

Thanks Rich for the update. I've left my AVS2000 on for the past day to see if the smell goes away. Guess I'll keep it going.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeah but if those lights were to indicate a problem they wouldn't hide them in the inside of the amp where it is hard to see and is very often covered by a component on top of it. Just hope it not the smell of electrical fire I've experienced that with my compuster watching my $200 processor burst into flames and my motherboard light up like a glowing charcoal in less than 3 seconds, man that sure was fun.:D

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Chris, I got some news for you on the AVS 2000. It uses a digitally controlled servo variac. That sharp, acrid odor you are talking about will be around for months. I can still smell it after being set-up in December 2002.

$0.02

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Thanks for the update, Tom!

I thought I had a defective unit at first! It smelled right out of the box, and when plugged in, it did get a little more potent. Guess I'll ride it out!

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
Angaria,

the two red lights in your amp might be rectifier diodes. This is actually a good thing as those are quite audiophile devices to use. My amp has tons of them and it also uses them as control lights, but then again my amp is completely transparent.

The smell might come from the epoxy boards that are in most components. The resin-like material will smell for a while especially when heated. The substance will eventually evaporate or become unobtrusive.

Nothing to worry about in both cases.

Till

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have used many high quality amps, including Citation, Bryston, Marsh, and Innersound, and none of them ever smelled - period. Even the H/K receivers I used for a while never had any smell. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with yours, but I don't think really high quality electronics should have any noticeable smell.

Dsmith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.