AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my ATI 9700 connected to my 65" Hitachi through the DVI connector. I used one of Powerstip's HDTV settings. It was 1280x720p. Looks very nice playing DVDs. But when I'm viewing my desktop the icon names are a little blurry. Is that normal? I messed with the refresh rate and scan rate but that did not really change anything. Is there something else I should be tweeking?

Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is your Hitachi CRt based? if so, text can be a little blurry. If it's LCD or DLP based it shouldn't be blurry if you're using pixel by pixel mapping (ie, HTPC's res should match your TV's native res)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is CRT. It is the 65SWX20B

It is very readable but I did not know if a little blurry was normal.

Quote:
HTPC's res should match your TV's native res
My HDTV will do 1080i but would 720p not look better?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Let me guess:

If you put up a page full of smallish sized text, there will be alternating vertical rows of text that is slightly darker than surrounding text, or otherwise blurry text.

I think you are not getting 1:1 pixel mapping from your HTPC to your display. Your tracking may need to be adjusted. You might want to check out Mark Rejhon's DILA Test Pattern or check out my thread about 1:1 Pixel Mapping Perfection with my TW100 projector. The thread has links to two other patterns that may help you achieve crystal clear, razor sharp text from you HTPC.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What resolution would be best to try? http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/html...cons/dunno.gif

The 1280x720p looks pretty darn good. The manual for my HDTV said that it was not even compatible with a computer input. I guess because there is so much tweaking involved that they did not want to mess with all the tech support calls. It did say that it would only exept 1080i, 720, 640 resolutions.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Well, I have heard in some circles that 720p actually might look better than 1080i. I don't think the difference between the two resolutions would be huge. I don't even think pixel mapping would be an issue for a CRT rear projection set like you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.