AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally adding a rear center surround speaker to my 6.1 capable system (Marantz 7300). My question is; should I add a rear center that matches the side wall, soffit mounted Jamo dipole speakers, or, try to match to the L, R, C front speakers which are made by Mordaunt-Short? It seems to me that most 6.1 capable DVD's would have "like sounding" effects In the rear and center surrounds. I use my system for 90% movie watching, 10% music. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Normally you'd match your rear speakers to each other. But with dipole speakers, that sort of goes out the window. Have you considered just doing 3 more Mordaunt-Shorts?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the Jamo's because of very limited space specifications for the surround mounting space, they fit perfectly. Maybe I should figure out a way to have more fun with with my speaker spending dollar. Anyone ever use a center sub added to existing front center speaker?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The important thing is to have all speakers in a system timbre matched for even panning.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
If the speakers are identical (same manufactures, same model which means same cabinet, crossover and drivers) they will sound "voice-matched" aka timbre matched. Timbre (tam-ber) is the quality of a sound related to its harmonic structure. It is the principle that makes a sax sound like a sax, not a trumpet. "Matched" speakers refers to timbre matching. Timbre refers to the tonal color of the sound -- in essence, it's voice. Ideally, when building a home theater system, all the speakers should have similar sound. For those who do not own good speakers already, I would definitely recommend buying speakers from the same model line. It is MOST important to have the identical left, center and right speakers, but many manufacturers suggest having the surrounds the same as well.

I just noticed you ar in Castle Rock. Nice! I need to head to the Sony Outlet store and get more 2.2" Watchman's. They are great for testing cable signal and monitoring DVD functions.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the lesson htguy. When is your ABC station in CS going to start broadcasting an HD signal?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
We just voted in a new Mayor. He may expedite it. He is more into repair the roads around here. He has done more than Mary Lou has in terms of technology, but again the Springs is a Republican-conservative mind set.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I do add a rear center, is it better to buy another center speaker or another bookshelf speaker (the mains and surrounds are all the same).

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.