AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since my projector only has one dvi input, which do you think i should do: upscaled dvd over component and HDTV over DVI or vice versa? It should be noted that I have not bought the DVD player yet and the HDTV box is gonna be a directtv box (either the hd300 or the HTL-HD). Also they will be going into a sony HS10 projector.

thanks

· Registered
2,118 Posts
bonedoc2be:

Two possible solutions: First, get a DVI switch (I have a Lindy 2-into-1 that works fine) and run BOTH through your single DVI input. Second, try each one and see which combination you can live with given your viewing habits. I realize that the second solution could be a problem since you don't have the DVD player... Maybe you could borrow one...

· Registered
16,351 Posts
Although a switch would be the best solution, I think you'll see more of a difference between DVI and component with an upscaling DVD player than with a DirectTV box. But try each to see for yourself with your set-up.

· Registered
310 Posts
I noticed the biggest quality difference with the DVD player hooked up to DVI. DVD needs quality improvements more because of its lower resolution. HDTV looks gorgeous as is, via component, IMO. The main benefit of DVD DVI was to get picture quality passed the "distraction" point, where I ceased to notice the fuzziness of backgrounds during a movie.

But I mostly watch DVDs. YMMV.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. I think i am gonna go with the samsung 941 when it comes out (i am on the preorder list at amazon). I will use the dvi on that and the component on the HDTV box. In all reality i doubt there will be much difference, but you know how we like to fret over little details here on AVS that most people would not even notice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.