AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right forum, but if 16:9 is 1.77, and my 1.85 "enhanced for widescreen" dvds fill the screen when in zoom mode, does that mean they basically crop them to 1.77? Any other modes (stretch, fill, whatever) just seem to distort the picture. Just wondering where the other .08 went and if there is anyway to watch one of these dvds with the very small letterboxing that it they would seem to need.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Movies composed for a 1.85:1 aspect ratio are shot using the entire 1.37:1 film negative. The top and bottom of the frame and later masked during projection to achieve the intended aspect ratio.

Some studios (like Warner, Paramount, and Lionsgate) will slightly lift the mattes off 1.85:1 movies to expose an extra sliver of picture information at the top and bottom of the frame. The difference is negligible, and does not affect the compositional intent of the photography.

1.85:1

Open-matte 1.78:1

This is less than the typical projection variances found in most commercial movie theaters.

Also, your TV may apply a degree of overscan that crops a bit of picture off all four sides of the screen. This is what either one of the above examples would look like on a TV with typical 5% overscan.

In short, this is not something worth getting worked up about.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Want to really have fun? Say you like the screen filled up better than letterboxed on the 2:35 format movies.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, every time someone posts "I don't like black bars PERIOD!' a three hundred post thread erupts.

·
Registered
27,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/18134591

Yeah, every time someone posts "I don't like black bars PERIOD!' a three hundred post thread erupts.

This is why CIH is so in vogue here...

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isley /forum/post/18134199

Ah, that was helpful. So what does "enhanced for widescreen tvs" mean? That they removed some of the mattes to make it 1.77:1? Or is it just a semi meaningless phrase?

On DVD, this is usually used to indicate an anamorphic DVD, however it is not always accurate, and not all anamorphic DVDs are labeled this way.

It doesn't have any particular meaning on BD, as BD does not have an anamorphic mode supported at this time.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.