AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or what ? It seems like my HD DVD picture is better than my BR picture. Aren't they supposed to be the same in terms of pic quality?

I've got a Panasonic BD30 hooked to my 1080p Samsung DLP via HDMI. The HDMI cable is a cheaper one but everyone tells me it shouldn't make a difference. The picture is nice but seems like it could be better.

My HD DVD player is the XBox 360 add-on drive hooked via component cables. It seems like it's got the better picture.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm looking at getting a better HDMI cable through Monoprice to see if it makes a difference. Here's the cable they recommended: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

·
Registered
321 Posts
Are both inputs calibrated? Not look good in which way? What movies are you comparing? Even some blu-rays look noticeably better than others? Same goes for HD-DVDs. See the "Tier" threads. Maybe you're comparing a lower tier BD to a higher tier HD-DVD movie.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seems like all 3 BR discs I have are of lesser pic quality than my HD DVD's, unfortunately I don't have a movie in both formats to really be able to compare apples to apples.

I have a SD version of Disney/Pixar Cars movie and also the BR version. I can't tell much of a diff between the 2.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't have the Panasonic Blu-Ray so I am not familiar with the setup. Is the output set to the highest resolution possible?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On BR I've got Pirates of the Caribbean 2,3; Cars; The Simpsons Movie

On HD DVD I've got all the Bourne movies; King Kong; the movie where Kevin James & Adam Sandler pretend to be gay.

On BR, the Simpsons disc looks amazing, otherwise the HD's look a little better. They both seem sharp but it just seems like the HD is sharper, and the colors seem to jump out at you when you watch, while the BR's colors don't seem to do that. Kinda hard to explain...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz /forum/post/12996750

I don't have the Panasonic Blu-Ray so I am not familiar with the setup. Is the output set to the highest resolution possible?

I'm gonna have to go through the menus to make sure it is. I thought of that after I posted this thread. I remember seeing something about being able to set the player to play at 60fps, but not sure how to do it. Guess I'll be reading the manual...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah but wouldn't Cars look amazing too? I saw it playing on an LCD at Best Buy and it almost jumped out at me when I was watching. Now I know I'm getting less PQ with my DLP as compared to a new LCD, but I don't notice much difference between the SD and BR versions on my set. Seems odd to me??

·
Registered
97 Posts
this seems a little odd to me seeing as you are only using component for your HD DVD and it still seems better because on my 360 when i play a game in component and play it in HDMI there is a clear difference in picture quality.

Make sure your BR player is outputting 1080p at either 60 or 120 Hz.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD323 /forum/post/12996760

I'm gonna have to go through the menus to make sure it is. I thought of that after I posted this thread. I remember seeing something about being able to set the player to play at 60fps, but not sure how to do it. Guess I'll be reading the manual...

Do keep in mind that fps and resolution are two different things so just because you change it does not mean that it will give you the results you are after.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS90 /forum/post/12996770

this seems a little odd to me seeing as you are only using component for your HD DVD and it still seems better because on my 360 when i play a game in component and play it in HDMI there is a clear difference in picture quality.

Make sure your BR player is outputting 1080p at either 60 or 120 Hz.

I can't find anywhere in the BR menu to change the Hz setting

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I just sat and went through all the BR menus again and the only thing I can see to mess with is the actual color/brightness/sharpness etc settings for the BR player itself. Plus I can use the defaults for teh above choices: Normal, Cinema, Custom, Soft, and can't remember the last one.

I'm not sure how I should set the BR video settings. Do I just set them so they match the settings I have for my tv? Seems kind of redundant to have to set the color/bright/sharp twice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You're better off to play w/ the settings in BR and get movies that available in both formats so you can judge them better.

Cheers,

TP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD323 /forum/post/12996920

I'm also gonna order the HDMI cable from Monoprice and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Which DLP do you own? I own a 1 yr and a half old Samsung 1080p DLP tv and the picture is phenomonal, once you calibrate it. I at first was disappointed with the PQ of Blu ray, but it was the display that needed to be calibrated. The contrast and brightness was much higher than my HD DVD on HDMI. So I had to fine tune the picture for Blu ray FWIW.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 40 Posts