AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a complete scratch setup of my XG.

After zeroing out everything in the menus

and turning off the the Green, Blue and Red guns,

Upon raising the brightness to 100 and zeroing the contrast,

it projects a raster image onto the Screen (Wall ) that is trapazoidal!

Its about 2 inches taller on the left than on the right but the sides are more or less the same plumb angle (no keystone yet). The bottom horizontal is more or less level but the top horizontal is down a couple inches on the right. Images and rasters are centered on the CRTs.

I have measured to the PJ diagonally from the screen several times and it appears to be right on, from the outside of the case anyway. I projected a laser line down the center line of the projector and its dead on screen center. And a level placed across the case is level in every direction.

Now, I did change the Green Tube, but there really is no way to adjust its physical position in the chassis anyway (is there ?)

So, is this normal ? It doesn't seem like it should be.

Should I assume that the chassis is not square to the case ?

Should I physically skew the outside of the pj until the rasters project a symmetric image onto the screen ?

Or should I just not obsess about it and move on ?

·
Registered
438 Posts
If your case is perfectly lined up with the screen it should produce a square image. However the alignment of the lenes (flapping and that long s-word I think) would throw this out of whack if they are not in line also. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me if the convergence controls are zeroed - don't worry, just set it up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The red and blue guns will produce rasters with longer sides distant to the gun respectively due to them shooting at the screen from a side angle. So for ex with the pj shooting from below they will seem taller at their distant aspect. Nature of physics.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It is possible to have your projector askew to the screen and still have 2 measurements the same. You need to measure front and back of the projector, preferably the frame, i.e. plastic shrouds removed, to fixed spots on the wall. If the two front are equal, and the two back are equal, then you know you are centered and square to the screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.