AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There hasn't been an announcement for any new movies since the beginning of November... :(

What gives? The last of the announced titles is scheduled on 12/15 and I hope that we'd have at least 2-4 other announcements for early next year (like January!).

I'm drooling for Ep II, although I know it'll be a cold day in hell before that would occur anytime soon.

I'm also rooting for Minority Report and Daredevil to be announced next year (hey, damnit, I can dream can't I!) :D

Oh, where's Titan:AE?

Troy

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Where are Reservoir Dogs and Basic Instinct?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
You guys are in for a lot of morbid self abuse if you think this D-Theater release schedule is actually going anywhere in terms of consistency or volume, Gary Reber notwithstanding. Just wait till the four supporting studios get wind of the problems associated with the JVC DVHS machine. They're gonna just love to hear that the one unit in the whole world they've lent their support to is crashing with frightening frequency. If they haven't heard about it already -- they will soon. I haven't had a glitch yet, but it's probably because I pray to the right God and cross my fingers every time I start up my unit to watch a flick.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Mike,

New formats often start with only one machine. I can envision that there will be some newer machines coming soon. As for Ep II, I wouldn't be totally shocked if that came out given the way Fox is releasing titles for this format.

What is up with all the other studios? I have a list of 23 titles available now (including Dec. 3rd release From Hell), with 2 more (Van Wilder and Basic Instinct coming). Out of those 25, the studio breakdown is as follows:

Fox: 14 titles (MSRP $35)

Universal: 5 titles (MSRP $45-50)

Artisan: 3 titles (MSRP $35, but only one title available now)

Dreamworks: 3 titles (MSRP $45-50)

For all the bashing I and others give FOX over HDTV, they are really supporting this D-Theater format. Although it would be nice to see them produce some TV shows in HD, I am happy for the HD Film support they are giving.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
Just wait till the four supporting studios get wind of the problems associated with the JVC DVHS machine. They're gonna just love to hear that the one unit in the whole world they've lent their support to is crashing with frightening frequency. If they haven't heard about it already -- they will soon. I haven't had a glitch yet, but it's probably because I pray to the right God and cross my fingers every time I start up my unit to watch a flick.
I have already sent letters to Fox, Universal, Dreamworks, and Artisan. Essentially I told them after buying 15 D-Theater titles I refuse to spend another dime on the D-Theater format given that my deck cannot get from point A to point B without crapping out. I'm going on two trips to the JVC service center in Pine Brook and there is no end, or hope for that matter, in sight.

When someone else (not JVC) who knows how to build a VHS tape transport brings a D-Theater deck to market then I will rethink my position.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Dave,

You have a PM.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsaliga
I have already sent letters to Fox, Universal, Dreamworks, and Artisan. Essentially I told them after buying 15 D-Theater titles I refuse to spend another dime on the D-Theater format given that my deck cannot get from point A to point B without crapping out.
I hope they toss your letter without reading it. What is the point of directing your comments toward these content providers? My deck works great, and I'll be damned if the titles stop coming because some peoples' decks have dropout problems. Your solution? DON'T BUY THE TITLES. There is no reason to ruin it for the rest of us who DO want to buy the titles.

I recommend you make some noise at JVC -- you're barking up the wrong tree as it is. If you're within the warranty period and they won't fix it or reimburse your costs, file a claim in small claims court. It's not the fault of Fox, Universal, Dreamworks or Artisan that JVC's deck may have some inherent flaw. And if that flaw doesn't present itself for 400 hours, I'd sure like to have some titles that can get me up to that point. If I owned and watched every movie released on D-VHS, it would take up like 40 hours of viewing time.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Xfactor,

Put a sock in it. I recommend you educate yourself on what is going on before you go on your next rant.

I've never read a more selfish post on this forum. So, I guess you are saying you don't give a **** what happens to everyone else so long as you aren't affected. Good man. It will be very interesting to see how you deal with the problem when none of your tapes play and you have sent your deck off to JVC twice, have 15 D-Theater tapes sitting on the shelf doing nothing, and are missing irreplacable recording opportunities because your unit spends more time in Pine Brook than it does in your home. You are probably closer to that scenario than you think.

Please.

--Jerome

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Jerome,

Sorry, but I agree with XFactor. Your letters try to kill the content because of the hardware. What would happen if there were two new decks coming out at the CES by other manufacturers, but the content providers all stopped making the movies because of the JVC deck? People with a functional JVC deck would also be screwed.

If your deck doesn't work, I am sorry, but how does me not being able to get new titles help your cause? It sounds like the selfish attitude is yours, also. If you can't have D-Theater, nobody should.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Mr.Poindexter,

The problem is that you can't have one without the other. A correctly functioning deck is worthless without content. The content is worthless without a correctly functioning deck.

I am already working the JVC end of the issue. Now I am working the content provider end of the issue. I am telling them I will no longer support their content until the issues are corrected with the only device available to display their content.

Your desire for more content does not negate my right to obtain the use and enjoyment out of my investment, which includes both the deck and the tapes. I am prepared to take whatever measures I believe are necessary to that end.

Of course I'm being selfish. Everyone is when it comes to their own personal satisfaction with this stuff. The fact that you aren't having an issue and would rather I keep quiet is self serving. The fact that I am raising the roof over it because I am having nothing but problems is self serving. But then again, YOU didn't spend all the money you did on your hobby to make ME happy, did you? Of course you didn't, so let's not even go there.

I'm not saying that if I can't have D-Theater then no one should--you are putting words in my mouth. You seem to be saying I should just take one for the team. Again, I'm being selfish. I freely admit it. But don't you pretend that you aren't being selfish. You most certainly are.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Jerome, its clear from my talking to the engineering department, they know something is going on, but not why yet. Just as they did with the f/w, I have trust they will find and understand this problem. This clearly could be something new with DVHS tape use that the industry has not encountered yet. Its clear they arent happy this has popped up. But it clearly sounds they are committed to getting to root cause.

Dave

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Xfactor,

Put a sock in it. I recommend you educate yourself on what is going on before you go on your next rant.

I've never read a more selfish post on this forum. So, I guess you are saying you don't give a **** what happens to everyone else so long as you aren't affected. Good man. It will be very interesting to see how you deal with the problem when none of your tapes play and you have sent your deck off to JVC twice, have 15 D-Theater tapes sitting on the shelf doing nothing, and are missing irreplacable recording opportunities because your unit spends more time in Pine Brook than it does in your home. You are probably closer to that scenario than you think.

Please.

--Jerome
If the problem arises with my deck, I will take the appropriate steps. First, I will contact JVC and demand the situation be rectified. Second, I will hold off on purchasing any new tapes until my deck is working properly. It obviously is of no value to purchase tapes I cann't watch.

What I won't do, however, is whine and ***** to the content providers that my JVC deck is acting up. I am well aware of the problems with the deck after a few hundred hours of usage. But as Poindexter pointed out, if you succeed in getting the content providers to stop releasing titles (which your letter might lead them to do), then these decks are COMPLETELY worthless for those who don't use them to record.

And by there was no need to suggest I am uneducated or selfish.

·
Registered
18,899 Posts
As far as D-Theater announcements go, I was wondering what's going on with new hardware?

I would really like to jump in now that the prices are declining, but the lack of a deck with an ATSC tuner makes me hesitate. Didn't Sharp say they were putting out a deck? They make some very good quality low-cost VHS decks (I own one) and would purchase a D-VHS D-Theater deck from them.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
Didn't Sharp say they were putting out a deck? They make some very good quality low-cost VHS decks (I own one) and would purchase a D-VHS D-Theater deck from them.
I found the quote below from HomeTheaterMag.com (October 2002):

Quote:
Even crazed zealots might have reason to pause, given that Sharp's high-definition D-Theater VCR has IEEE 1394 connectors. Sharp played prerecorded D-VHS tapes through the XV-Z9000U projector to amazed audiences. While a new projector is in the works, Sharp also promised to introduce a high-definition PVR in 2003.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Mr.Poindexter,

The problem is that you can't have one without the other. A correctly functioning deck is worthless without content. The content is worthless without a correctly functioning deck.

As you said, a deck without tapes is worthless. Your efforts are ones that will stop the production of tapes, which would make my deck worthless even if I don't end up with problems! If, as you say, a broken with tapes available deck is worthless, then how will stopping the production of tapes help you? It won't. It will only hurt those who have functioning decks.

Quote:

I am already working the JVC end of the issue. Now I am working the content provider end of the issue. I am telling them I will no longer support their content until the issues are corrected with the only device available to display their content.

Well, I hope then that Fox and Artisan know how to fix a VCR that they don't make. Otherwise, this isn't going to help me get more tapes. New tapes are worthless to you? Don't buy them. Please don't tell the studios not to make them for me!

Quote:

Your desire for more content does not negate my right to obtain the use and enjoyment out of my investment, which includes both the deck and the tapes. I am prepared to take whatever measures I believe are necessary to that end.

And how does telling the studios not to make more tapes re-enable your right to watch the tapes you already bought? I am sorry your deck broke, but that isn't my problem. It is your problem and JVC's responsibility to fix. When my car stops running, I don't call up Blaupunkt and tell them to stop selling the automaker stereos.

Quote:

Of course I'm being selfish. Everyone is when it comes to their own personal satisfaction with this stuff. The fact that you aren't having an issue and would rather I keep quiet is self serving. The fact that I am raising the roof over it because I am having nothing but problems is self serving. But then again, YOU didn't spend all the money you did on your hobby to make ME happy, did you? Of course you didn't, so let's not even go there.

I want you to make all the noise in the world to the right people. In this case, the right people would be JVC. If the tapes themselves were having problems, then complain to the studios. And I am not going where you are asking me not to go. I spent my money on myself and my friends for our enjoyment.

Quote:

I'm not saying that if I can't have D-Theater then no one should--you are putting words in my mouth. You seem to be saying I should just take one for the team. Again, I'm being selfish. I freely admit it. But don't you pretend that you aren't being selfish. You most certainly are.

--Jerome
You aren't saying nobody should have D-Theater, just that the studios shouldn't be making any more tapes. Sorry, but to me, that is just splitting hairs. Take one for the team? Please! Complain to JVC all damn day! It just looks more like you got a bum deal and are unhappy. Rather than just complain about it, you are taking your ball and going home.

And you refer to me as being selfish because I don't want them to stop providing content? Freely admit that you are being selfish, but don't say that people who don't share your opinion are acting the same way.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, but I agree with XFactor. Your letters try to kill the content because of the hardware. What would happen if there were two new decks coming out at the CES by other manufacturers, but the content providers all stopped making the movies because of the JVC deck? People with a functional JVC deck would also be screwed.
Frankly, I am stunned by the comments I am seeing in this thread. Jerome's letter is meant to do one thing, get the studios to kick JVC in the ass to fix this BIG problem. It was not meant to stop D-Theater releases. Your assuming that is just nuts.

JVC has a serious problem and more people are seeing their deck crap out on them each week. We have a right to ***** and ***** LOUDLY all we want and to whomever we want! It is no secret that companies, Japanese ones in particular, prefer to ignore problems rather than solve them. If we don't raise hell, then nothing would be done.

My letter to the studios is almost complete. As are my letters to all the Home Theater magazines out there and the DVD related websites that have covered D-Theater.

I did not spend $1200 for a silver colored paper weight.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.