Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two steps:

1. Create new category, name it Uncategorized

2. Under default record options select Uncategorized as the default category.

This results in all new recordings, which have not been otherwise categorized, to show up in the Uncategorized category. This allows for much quicker overview and handling as compared to the default "All Shows" category which mixes these recordings in with everything else on the machine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is there any way to delete the "All Shows" category or at least move it over to the right?

We find it pointless to use the category feature at all since the scroll always highlights the first column on the left and then must be arrow'd over.

-John

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can reorder the categories by clicking select when the category is highlited. But I don't understand your problem, since the displayed category is the last one you used.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
You can reorder the categories by clicking select when the category is highlited.
But not for "All Shows". That one don't move. :(

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is needed then is "sticky" categories, and a status bar to keep track of them :D

And you do know that clicking "jump" will take you right into categories, don't you? And a second jump will take you to the Replay selector.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
And you do know that clicking "jump" will take you right into categories, don't you? And a second jump will take you to the Replay selector.
And pressing FF or RW in the ReplayGuide will move you from cat to cat while maintaining a current position in each category. Saves _alot_ of keystrokes from when I used to think I had to traverse to the top of each cat w/ the channel up (or up arrow) before switching cats.

Gotta hand it to ReplayTV. Someone over there is properly dialed into some of the nuances of user interfaces and included some really handy shortcuts.

BTW, the ReplayTV FAQ has the most unabridged list I've seen (much more so than any official ReplayTV documentatin).

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Two steps:

1. Create new category, name it Uncategorized

2. Under default record options select Uncategorized as the default category.

This results in all new recordings, which have not been otherwise categorized, to show up in the Uncategorized category. This allows for much quicker overview and handling as compared to the default "All Shows" category which mixes these recordings in with everything else on the machine.
Thanks for that.

It's obvious, now that someone pointed it out.

I noticed that DVArchive helps in this regard too. I had some 'phantom' (well I had totally forgotten abput 'em) shows that DVArchive showed me as 'Unassigned' or 'Uncategorized' They would have been there for a looooong time without DVArchive, 'cuz I almost never spend time in 'All Shows'

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have shows that I haven't deleted yet, and it really bugs my wife that she sees them there. They are in my own category, but that's useless to her.

The "Uncategorized" category is a good idea. But the rest of my family wouldn't use it as long as they can still find the shows in the All Shows category.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Degrees
But the rest of my family wouldn't use it as long as they can still find the shows in the All Shows category.
And that would prevent you from using it how?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:
You can reorder the categories by clicking select when the category is highlited. But I don't understand your problem, since the displayed category is the last one you used.
Until a scheduled reboot and then its back to "All Shows" AGAIN. I did the same thing, accept I used the most looked at category. When I see something in there that does not belong, I re-categorize it under a more proper heading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.