AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a sump pump below grade in the corner of the theater room. I'm undecided how to hide it. I could make that wall the front and hide it behind the false screen wall OR I could flip the room 180 degrees and try to hide it in the riser. Hiding in the riser is preferred due to the layout of the room but I'm not sure how feasible it is. I know I'll need to leave access either way (somehow). Maybe I can put a column in the back corner above the sump pump to avoid some weird trap door in the riser?

Just looking for ideas... thanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,725 Posts
don't have any interesting photos

in the lemonade project:

sump at back corner of theater, built into riser
trap door fitted flush on top
all pipes up inside the back wall
carpet not tacked in place just sitting on the riser in that corner
water alarm installed, went off once when a leak developed
Battery back up pump sits on riser behind the seating.
electrical connections hidden behind access panel (inside backer box) and fabric panel held in place with Velcro.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've got a sump pump below grade in the corner of the theater room. I'm undecided how to hide it. I could make that wall the front and hide it behind the false screen wall OR I could flip the room 180 degrees and try to hide it in the riser. Hiding in the riser is preferred due to the layout of the room but I'm not sure how feasible it is. I know I'll need to leave access either way (somehow). Maybe I can put a column in the back corner above the sump pump to avoid some weird trap door in the riser?

Just looking for ideas... thanks.

Mine's going behind the screen's false wall, which will be about 52" from the foundation/electrical panel wall. We'll build removable/swingable panels on the sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found a few pics, sump is at the back right.
Wow - you can't even see it in the pictures. Good call on ripping out the closet. So to access it you just peel back the rug, and expose the wood panel, which pops off? What about wood trim around the floor in that area? I assume this is something I'll (hopefully) never have to open back up. I'm not going the battery back-up route. Before construction starts I'm installing a gas-powered generator for the house (to power sump pump, refrigerator, HVAC and TV). It will be dedicated and hooked up to the gas line running to the house.

Also, a related question - is it OK to build the stud wall and have it straddle (a little bit) the hole for the sump pump? The hole is right up against the corner so I'd have to place the base of the stud wall over the hole (slightly) on the back wall and side wall like in the attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I'm not going the battery back-up route
Your sump pump will NOT last forever, regardless of whether or not it is hooked up to a generator. And you won't know it's failed until it's too late.

I HIGHLY recommend the battery back up if not a second regular pump since you have back up power.

Search the forum for sump pump failures and you'll think differently.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your sump pump will NOT last forever, regardless of whether or not it is hooked up to a generator. And you won't know it's failed until it's too late.

I HIGHLY recommend the battery back up if not a second regular pump since you have back up power.

Search the forum for sump pump failures and you'll think differently.
Ahhh... OK, so a second pump that runs on batteries in case the first one fails? That sounds like a good idea. I thought the "back-up" was either gas powered or battery powered. I'll definitely do the battery back up then. Water/mold in the basement is my #1 concern.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,725 Posts
Also, a related question - is it OK to build the stud wall and have it straddle (a little bit) the hole for the sump pump? The hole is right up against the corner so I'd have to place the base of the stud wall over the hole (slightly) on the back wall and side wall like in the attached picture.
If you can easily remove the cover and everything inside you can do what you want, sump pumps can be moved a few feet, you dig out the concrete, disconnect the plumbing, move it and reconnect. Then patch the concrete.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a Hydromatic Pump that failed on me and was lucky enough to detect the lack of it kicking in when I expected it to. The motor burned out due to the float switch sticking on it that ultimately tripped the GFCI. It was only 3 years old when it died and I replaced it with another same Hydromatic since that was the fastest plug and play solution to getting it back up and running without modifying the basic plumbing. That was 2 years ago.

I also need to add a battery back up 2nd pump, but haven't researched how to do that. Is it as simple as getting another pump into the pit with the float switch set maybe twice as long as the first main pump, plumbing in one way valve that then goes up into a Y into the existing discharge pipe, then plugging in that pump into this battery back up box? The first part seems easy as it's a duplicate of the main, with a Y between the two. The second part I don't know about.

What is that battery box set up composed of? Is it a kit? Does it basically have an AC outlet on it that the pump just plugs into? Is that battery kit then also plugged into AC to keep it charged?

·
Banned
988 Posts
you can backup pumps that use the city feed pressure to create the pump... dunn much about it, im prob going battery for ease (guard dog)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts