AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously stuck between a 120" or a 150" screen. My ceiling height is 8' so the 150" screen im looking at if installed at the top of the wall, the bottom of the screen will leave only a 12".

I'm looking for some perspective from your seating position. I'd love to see some photos from there and if you could include your seating distance too....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a 150" screen but it's a cinescope 2.40:1 ratio. I love it and will never want a regular 16:9.
If you're screen is 12" above the floor, I'm thinking it's too big for your wall. Bigger isn't always better. My couch is 16' from the screen and it's perfect. I could get a 200" cinescope screen but I'd need to move back another 4'; that'd be silly. My ceiling is 12'.
The projector is an Epson 5050ub. 3D movies are my favorite as are my wife's, too. It's wayyyy better than any movie theater.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a 150" screen but it's a cinescope 2.40:1 ratio. I love it and will never want a regular 16:9.
If you're screen is 12" above the floor, I'm thinking it's too big for your wall. Bigger isn't always better. My couch is 16' from the screen and it's perfect. I could get a 200" cinescope screen but I'd need to move back another 4'; that'd be silly. My ceiling is 12'.
The projector is an Epson 5050ub. 3D movies are my favorite as are my wife's, too. It's wayyyy better than any movie theater.
I'd actually have 18" of space vertically on the all. The screen is 78.25" tall and the wall is 96" or so. Think that's too big? I figured seating would be around 14'.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My screen will be 25.5" off the floor, same distance to my ceiling, can barely fit my SPL-150's, they could stand up, but I think I'll lay them on their sides to gain a little distance.
Reflections are a bastard, I want at least around a 6" clearance, might have to add some velvet on top of the subwoofers and the center channel to keep things 'invisible'.

You'll have an AT screen? Where will you put your center channel?
I have to angle mine upwards a coulple of degrees to meet ear level at a 16' distance, yes, my seating distance is quite long, yes, I use a horizontal center, living room.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
12” to the floor is too low. Your second row will have a hard time seeing the bottom 1/3 of the screen with people sitting in the front row.

I navigated this by installing a 144” scope screen 2.35:1. I haven’t yet installed my second row, but people just sit at a bar table behind first row and can see the whole screen. A 144” scope screen is like a 116” 16x9 (with black bars on left and right), but it’s a whopping 156” 16x9 screen equivalent for widescreen (with no black bars).

When room is height limited cinema scope screens are the way to go! You can click my signature link if you’d like to see pictures. The bottom of my screen is about 25.5” off the ground. My ceiling height is 89”, but because of an HVAC dropdown, my screen is not able to be mounted all the way up to the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My screen will be 25.5" off the floor, same distance to my ceiling, can barely fit my SPL-150's, they could stand up, but I think I'll lay them on their sides to gain a little distance.
Reflections are a bastard, I want at least around a 6" clearance, might have to add some velvet on top of the subwoofers and the center channel to keep things 'invisible'.

You'll have an AT screen? Where will you put your center channel?
I have to angle mine upwards a coulple of degrees to meet ear level at a 16' distance, yes, my seating distance is quite long, yes, I use a horizontal center, living room.
Yes it will be an AT screen. At 150" I could fit my my L/C/R and subs behind it at. AT 120" ill have to keep the L and R speakers out by the screens and probably the subs too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Alright, champ, jealous of your AT, why don't you throw some images with your projector and see where you like things to be, sizewise?
I think the most common recommendation is to get the projector first, then decide on the screen, you can always plan things of course, but things change when you see the image.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, champ, jealous of your AT, why don't you throw some images with your projector and see where you like things to be, sizewise?
I think the most common recommendation is to get the projector first, then decide on the screen, you can always plan things of course, but things change when you see the image.
Well my house is still under construction I have a ductless mini split in the room so I need to narrow down my projector throw distance so I can make sure the the mini split air supply is not in the way.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Perhaps a compromise? I sit ~10 feet from a 135" 2.40:1 screen. Works very well for me. I have a 9' ceiling but there is a soffit in front of the screen; around the whole theater actually (approximately 9" in height (I think!)).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts