AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know this is not a function of a home theater. But I would like to see how you guys have addressed egress windows. After my recent bad luck, I'd like to see what others have done. I can't be the only one with an egress window in my theater.

Points of interest:
  • Drainage Options
  • Inserts, Covers, Panels
  • Any sound proofing.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg /forum/post/14249656

Okay I know this is not a function of a home theater. But I would like to see how you guys have addressed egress windows. After my recent bad luck, I'd like to see what others have done. I can't be the only one with an egress window in my theater.

Points of interest:
  • Drainage Options
  • Inserts, Covers, Panels
  • Any sound proofing.

What egress windows?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I glass blocked the outside of mine and framed over the inside

·
Registered
989 Posts
This is the playroom outside the theater.

It is an egress rated casement window. We had the hole cut in the foundation - quite a dramatic event. I think it is at 41" sill height which is egress code.

Here is the 'before'

db

·
Registered
259 Posts
I know nothing about egress windows as we do not have basements, but I would suggest you look at laminated glass for any window you get. It should be strong enough to hold back the water should the same situation happen again, and they are good acoustically, especially if you get laminated insulating glass. Safety is another factor as it would difficult, if not impossible, for someone to break through it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whumpf /forum/post/14260985

I know nothing about egress windows as we do not have basements, but I would suggest you look at laminated glass for any window you get. It should be strong enough to hold back the water should the same situation happen again, and they are good acoustically, especially if you get laminated insulating glass. Safety is another factor as it would difficult, if not impossible, for someone to break through it.

You have to remember the point of an egress window is an exit point from the basement in case of an emergency. I think our local code calls for them only if you have a bedroom or finished living space in a basement. Not sure how a HT room fits. I have a walk out basement so it was one thing i didn't have to worry about during my build.

In my parents old house we dug out the area very large around 4'x8' and tried to have good drainage so water would not build up and have a problem like Don experienced. You have to remember i live in an area with no clay or rock to worry about, its all sand.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I've since added blinds. I had custom window well covers installed before I even started. Clear, they hold up to 400lbs. I like that they let light through look nice outside. The blinds block most of the light when needed, I've toyed with the idea of some curtains but my wife says no.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whumpf /forum/post/14260985

It was... It was...

I'm thinking 1/4 lexan siliconed in place on the out side. Should you need out of the basement a swift kick will get errr done...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook /forum/post/14261219

I've since added blinds. I had custom window well covers installed before I even started. Clear, they hold up to 400lbs. I like that they let light through look nice outside. The blinds block most of the light when needed, I've toyed with the idea of some curtains but my wife says no.

We lost our cover in the storm. I'm trying to order a replacement. Can you give my the brand and model of that so I can look into on that's 48"x36".

FYI the cover being ripped off and blown away is my only saving grace. It might be the only reason it gets covered. They are still mass debating over this.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/14262574

I have egress doors but here is how I dealt with the light and sound issues. Linacoustic, GOM, and some trim screwed to metal doors. These are located along the back wall of my space.

Big I just love the work you have done. I really wish I was as good a trim carpenter as you. Is the trim the rubber gasket stuff to stop moisture etc?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
BIG's work never ceases to amaze me. Don, great idea on the thread as I too am interested in seeing different types of egress windows. To all future posters, if you could also post pics of what your egress window looks like from the outside that would be especially helpful as well. Not sure of how to shape/landscape it. Thanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg /forum/post/14262752

Is the trim the rubber gasket stuff to stop moisture etc?

The right side is fixed and caulked tight. The left is an exterior weatherstripped metal door. It sits a few inches above grade, and the yard slopes away. It hasn't been a leak issue to date.

The stuff I made the frames from is just basic wood. I'll grab an exterior shot soon. Haven't had any condensation issues. On the glass area there is actually 2 layers of Linacoustic because the glass was recessed. I put the layers face to face with the black coated surface on the outside. From the outside it just blacks out the window. You have to really look hard to figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good deal on the construction. I'm going to silicon a 1/4" or thicker piece of plexi glass to the other side frame of my egress. If you ever need to get out a swift kick would do the trick. This will be in addition to massive grading and draining..

·
Registered
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg /forum/post/14262741

We lost our cover in the storm. I'm trying to order a replacement. Can you give my the brand and model of that so I can look into on that's 48"x36".

FYI the cover being ripped off and blown away is my only saving grace. It might be the only reason it gets covered. They are still mass debating over this.

I paid a company to come out and install it. They measure, cut, brace, and install it on site. Perfect fit.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I now have almost 475k of flood insurance. My agent came out today with one of the supervisors they reopened my claim. Still don't know if the damage is covered, but it will be in the future.

Still I want to take all the precautions I can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts