AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing our basment with a dedicated HT that's entered into from what will be a rec room. We want the rec room to have a theater lobby feel, but we're having problems coming up with an overall "lobby" styled look that'll still liveable.

You can see photos of the space in my gallery. The theater colors will match GOM's "Plum", and we want the rec room to blend with that. All metal hardware throughout the basement will be brushed nickel. The rooms will have a very modern, contemporary feel.

So... show me your lobbies! I'm looking for some ideas.....

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Hi,

While not fancy, my lobby is well stocked.

Since the house is from 1925, I couldn't change much, but I like it.

The following are a few pics...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Game room that has a door leading to the lobby...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Steve, believe it or not, I bought it for only $50 on eBay. It weighs a TON because it has its own refrigeration system built in, so no one else bid on it because shipping would have cost a fortune, but the seller lived within 10 miles of me, so I got to go pick it up and pay no shipping, so $50 total!

It is from the 1960s and is in perfect shape. It came with ALL the equipment (even the carbonator, valves and dials), though I bought new rubber tubing. One of the beverage choices on it is for "Fanta Root Beer". I know Fanta still makes orange, but I don't know if they make root beer anymore.

It also came with some very cool metal syrup kegs for Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Fanta Root Beer from the 1960s. I met a Coca-Cola worker who has been with Coke for 18 years and he said he's never seen them like that. I plan to wipe them down and sell them on eBay. Heck, maybe that will cover the initial $50 I paid! Now days we use the "syrup in a box".

Here's a closeup of it...

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Awesome thread as well..Ptruby's lobby looks right out of some magazine.Very nice indeed.

brickie

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinp8192
It isn't my lobby, but it's my favorite (so I hope it's o.k. to post), but here is ptruby's ASTOUNDING lobby from another thread:

http://www.trubey.net/images/SmallMarquee.jpg

And here's the thread for the rest of his photos:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=337898
Really amazing...in fact, it gets my vote as best AVS member home theater!

NoClue

Love your snack bar, etc. Is that custom built or DIY, or ?

Looks great, love the backlit curved glassblock.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd respond with a resounding "HOLY CRAP!!!" to trubey's pics, but they don't make crap that's holy enough to describe that place. :)

It's interesting... for 2 years I've paid close attention to HT pics, but not to the areas approaching the HT's I've spent so much time admiring.

At first my wife just wanted the rec room (15x30 room immediately outside of the HT) to look completely separate room from the HT - with decor that completely differentiated itself from the HT. But now she's switching gears and thinking of a way to make the two blend together. Keeping the HT decor out of the HT but in the rec room. I'm OK with this approach - I just wish I'd have known this sooner so I could have been paying closer attention to what else is out there.

My mother-in-law does mural and decorative painting professionally, and I'm thinking of having her do either a murual of the Hollywood hills (with the Hollywood sign) at night or maybe a spinoff of a movie company's logo. (like what's in the issue of AVI of the woman's house in Indianapolis)

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
I went for the understated, 'I like my theater disguised' look. I find, for me, when I bring guests over the non-descript door which leads to dedicated theater really heightens it's impact.

Here it is: (only the rubber seal around the door gives a clue as to what is inside):

http://www.winglake.com/images/compo...rent/lobby.jpg

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I agree. My HT is in my basement. The door down to the basement is very plain and the stairs going down are pretty plain too. At one point I was going to put a marquee or fancy theater sign at the top of the steps, but decided to have it seem like any basement as guests go down and then once they get to the bottom of the steps they are shocked and awed (sorry for the reference).

I agree, the surprise does heighten the experience. That said, all the other people's fancy entrances are very impressive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.