AVS Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 3161 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
^
Those AC Infinity fans are great for cooling components.

If your new rack is fully enclosed, (door, side and back panels), you need fans at least in the top of the rack. If is not fully enclosed the AC Infinity fans would probably be enough.

·
Registered
125 Posts
^
Those AC Infinity fans are great for cooling components.

If your new rack is fully enclosed, (door, side and back panels), you need fans at least in the top of the rack. If is not fully enclosed the AC Infinity fans would probably be enough.
New rack is a Middle Atlantic ERK-3525 that will have sides and a back door, no front door. It has some passive vents around the bottom and top edge but my plan was to use the MA custom face plate shelves and use the ACInfinity intake and exhaust fans to circulate the heat out of the rack that will be mostly closed off since it has sides, a back, and the components will be just showing through the face plates.

I am assuming the 2u version of those fans will be enough.

Like this

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I was researching this I found several sources that said 85 or less was the goal...Having said that I was never really able to confirm if that's true or not.
Ok I am pretty close to that, I think its generally in that range. I will move forward with those 2u ACinfinity rack fans and monitor the temp in the room.

Anyone have ideas on mounting the small stuff like the HUBs, hard drive, and streaming boxes?

I have seen the custom face plates for the appletv and id assume a fire tv, but I have a philips hue hub and some other small boxes that done have the right shape to be in a custom shelf and plate.

·
Registered
680 Posts
For the smaller items like a Harmony hub, Lutron Hub and portable drives, I am currently thinking of a 1RU shelf with no face plate near the top.

Yes, that may appear a bit odd, but no more odd than having these little boxes sitting out in the media room by themselves.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For the smaller items like a Harmony hub, Lutron Hub and portable drives, I am currently thinking of a 1RU shelf with no face plate near the top.

Yes, that may appear a bit odd, but no more odd than having these little boxes sitting out in the media room by themselves.
I have my Directv, Harmony hub, and Ruku box all sitting on top of my DVD player, the open slot in this pic

Thats kind of what I was thinking too, a shelf with no face plate and them just sort of spread around. Just didnt know if they have certain kinds of shelves for those kinds of things.

Would you make it a solid bottom shelf or a vented one? I ask because of the intake and exhaust fan setup I plan to run...I dont know if having a shelf without a face plate effects the performance of that setup?

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Thats kind of what I was thinking too, a shelf with no face plate and them just sort of spread around. Just didnt know if they have certain kinds of shelves for those kinds of things.

Would you make it a solid bottom shelf or a vented one? I ask because of the intake and exhaust fan setup I plan to run...I dont know if having a shelf without a face plate effects the performance of that setup?
All of my shelf's are grated for airflow, here's a pic.

I do not have a faceplate but do use the glass door on the rack. I have ACinfinity fans at the bottom and top of the rack I also have a 4" vent at the top of my alcove pulling air out. The temps in the rack stay between 83-86 even during extended viewing 3+ movies. This was one area I wish there was more info on I really felt/feel like I am winging it a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
All of my shelf's are grated for airflow, here's a pic.

I do not have a faceplate but do use the glass door on the rack. I have ACinfinity fans at the bottom and top of the rack I also have a 4" vent at the top of my alcove pulling air out. The temps in the rack stay between 83-86 even during extended viewing 3+ movies. This was one area I wish there was more info on I really felt/feel like I am winging it a bit.
A purely un educated guess but I cant see how mid 80s would be too much heat for AV equipment.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It rather depends on specific equipment, but I have a 90+Lb 200W 7-channel amp and a top of the line 13.2 channel Pre/Pro that I would hate to see it sitting in 85˚ ambient temps. Currently they are in open air with two 120mm fans on top of each drawing out air, and even at 77˚ ambient temps they can get really warm varying in the 90-94˚ range when driven 'enthusiastically'. The internal heat sinks have to be significantly warmer.

If the ambient rose 8˚ to 85˚ I would imagine that the inner equipment temps could go over 100˚, and I know that I would not like seeing those temps at the equipment housing.

I have three LCD temp sensors that I will be adding to a blank faceplate to my rack with the probes on my two amps and the third on my preamp. The sensor probes will be inserted about 1" in each piece of equipment through the case's air vents nearest the warmer areas. I would love to Kapton tape the probes to the heat sinks, but I believe that monitoring the temps inside the equipment cases will be good enough for monitoring, just in case of any fans fail.

I guess you could use Middle Atlantic's automatic
fan
temp settings for a good 'rule of thumb' for equipment temps;

(fan) shall activate at 87°F (30.5°C), reach full speed at 95°F (35°C) and switch off at 85°F (29.4°C).

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a number of AC Infinity fans in my Sanus rack to help with cooling. The rack sits in a closet that's on a platform even with my riser in the back left corner of the theater. At the very bottom of the rack is my Parasound A21+ two channel amp which drives my B&W CM9 speakers. They like a lot of power so the Parasound warms up pretty quick while driving them.

Right above the Parasound I have a 1U AC Infinity Cloudplate intake fan. This pulls cold air from the lower front of the rack over the Parasound. I run the AC Infinity in "smart" mode, so it kicks on at low speed around 82 degrees and I rarely see it get above 86-87 when pressing the amp hard.

My Marantz pre/pro also runs warm so I have an AC Infinity T8 that sits directly on top and vents to the back of the closet.

Finally at the very top of my rack I have an AC Infinity Cloudplate exhaust fan that moves the hot air moving to the top of the closet out of the rack. Additionally my air return for the room sits right in front of the rack so it helps pull the hot air out of the theater.

The Cloudplates do get loud if you start to push the higher fan speeds which is really my only complaint about them. I'm not sure if the 2U and 3U models are any quieter or not but overall I'm happy with how they work.

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Anyone have an MA AXS rack? Looks like a nicer slim-5 you mount and get a track to slide out instead of casters. Debating if it’s worth the price difference, you could frame around it more than using casters for sure.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Posted a little while back but been some changes so i figured id post again. Also I am looking for some help. I wanted a AV rack when i built my room but didnt make sense to spend the money at the time when i still had changes planned for the system. Now the system is complete and id like to switch to an actual AV rack. I mean look at that shelf with the Monolith Amp....my man is not happy! It seems to me that the Sanus 36U rack can get me in the game for around $1000. I like how it comes with shelves, other accessories, and a glass door. But i really dont know much about AV racks and i know ill end up needing other accessories to do a nice neat complete job. Any help would be appreciated. Is there another brand that is comparable in price that would be better? Would it be better to order a skeleton and order the rest of the accessories separately for exactly what I need?

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
Anyone have an MA AXS rack? Looks like a nicer slim-5 you mount and get a track to slide out instead of casters. Debating if it’s worth the price difference, you could frame around it more than using casters for sure.

I have that exact rack. It's nice and makes working on the gear easy (which for me is not easily accessible). Getting all of the cables to fit onto the two scissor trays however is quite challenging. I have AC / Power going on one side and all the LV / Video on the other. It's still a mess - with 15 speaker 12awg wires, several HDMI, IR control, ethernet, etc.. it gets quite messy...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have that exact rack. It's nice and makes working on the gear easy (which for me is not easily accessible). Getting all of the cables to fit onto the two scissor trays however is quite challenging. I have AC / Power going on one side and all the LV / Video on the other. It's still a mess - with 15 speaker 12awg wires, several HDMI, IR control, ethernet, etc.. it gets quite messy...
Appreciate the feedback while I decide. Probably still easier to manage than a typical rack with casters. I think there is also an optional wider tray if it gets that bad.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So my rack came in a little over a week ago, and I think i got it setup the way I want. My last addition was a touchscreen monitor. Its setup as a secondary monitor connected to my computer, and I have it set right now to just show the Web UI for the Monolith HTP-1. Totally unnecessary, but I think it looks cool, and helps fill out the rack nice. Works well and gives easy control from the equipment room. Im not sure how much use its really gonna get, but I'm a sucker for those little upgrades to the theater.

Still gotta add some AC infinity cooling in there, but a little indecisive on which way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
So my rack came in a little over a week ago, and I think i got it setup the way I want. My last addition was a touchscreen monitor. Its setup as a secondary monitor connected to my computer, and I have it set right now to just show the Web UI for the Monolith HTP-1. Totally unnecessary, but I think it looks cool, and helps fill out the rack nice. Works well and gives easy control from the equipment room. Im not sure how much use its really gonna get, but I'm a sucker for those little upgrades to the theater.

Still gotta add some AC infinity cooling in there, but a little indecisive on which way to go.
What monitor did you go with?

·
Registered
391 Posts
What monitor did you go with?
I went with one of monoprices 5 wire monitors. It’s the 21.5” 16:9 version. If I was doing it again I would probably hold out for a 19” one that would fit nicer in a rack but it’s not too bad. It’s just kind of recessed a little.

3141 - 3160 of 3161 Posts