AVS Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 3161 Posts

·
Registered
4,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23102464

You read it wrong, it's not a chill out. It's just a suggestion. It's a conversation that certainly bears drawing more posts. Otherwise why bother even having threads under their own posts? Why not just one huge thread? I'm joking, of course.

Now you are off topic and are filling this thread with extra non needed posts when and answer to his question would have taken up less space.
Quote:
Thanks!

This is what logic was telling me, put the sensor at the top where all of the hot air will rise to so that the fan can exhaust it if needed. It appears I'm doing something similar to yours, where I will have no openings in any of the rack spaces between the top and bottom fans, that is also what the thermal white papers stated to do. As of right now I only have the top exhaust fan and am still shopping for decent price on my intake fan, so for the time being I have an EVT2 vented blank for the bottom to help pull in cool air if needed... I'm wondering where I should put that sensor? Probably at the top as well.

I hope to have everything roughed in by this weekend, and get it drywalled and everything within a few weeks after that and I'll get some pictures up.

Also, regarding posting in this thread... I've read through this entire thread multiple times. There's been plenty of chatter which is why I felt okay posting in it. If it was 100% pictures and no talking then I wouldn't have posted here.ReplyQuote Multi 0

I would put both sensors at the top or run both fans in parallel from one thermostat switch. Don't worry about the other guys comments. There are plenty of people on here that will help you out. Besides....at least you are not asking questions that you have not researched first like he was earlier in this thread. Are those white papers you are talking about the ones from the Middle atlantic website? If they are, those are good to go by and are informative. If they are not, go check them out. The other comment that I disagree with that I read from somebody else was "most people use hvac in the av closet". This is not true either. Most people on here do not have hvac going to their racks.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23104309

I would put both sensors at the top or run both fans in parallel from one thermostat switch. Don't worry about the other guys comments. There are plenty of people on here that will help you out. Besides....at least you are not asking questions that you have not researched first like he was earlier in this thread. Are those white papers you are talking about the ones from the Middle atlantic website? If they are, those are good to go by and are informative. If they are not, go check them out. The other comment that I disagree with that I read from somebody else was "most people use hvac in the av closet". This is not true either. Most people on here do not have hvac going to their racks.

Perfect, I am going to try both at the top as you said. And yes, I was referring to the Middle Atlantic thermal white papers, I found it very informative as well but it's always nice to have somebody back it up with real world use and answer questions like the one you just did for me that isn't explicitly stated anywhere in those white papers.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23060242

Nice touch with the LT-1RA light at the top and the black replacement side pieces on the Emotiva amps. Middle Atlantic makes a product called "TA", which are the black anoized trim strips. They come in full rack height and snap fit into position over the screw heads which gives you a cleaner aesthetic which seems to be right up your alley. Here's a link: http://www.middleatlantic.com/rsh/trimstrp.htm

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23060242

Here's mine.

Geez, that stack looks really familiar... Landshark, take a look back in the thread, I have a before-and-after shot with the trim strips installed. I was surprised at how much better it really does look...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1320#post_21848689

(I also swapped out the Emotiva silver plates by the time I took the "after" shot as well)

Jeff

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Where'd you get the trim strips from? I'm guessing they work with any standard rails?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23105103

Where'd you get the trim strips from? I'm guessing they work with any standard rails?
As TMcG said, they're a standard MA part. I don't see why they wouldn't work on any rack. I got mine from HomeTech, but any MA source can get them...

·
Registered
4,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23104686

Geez, that stack looks really familiar... Landshark, take a look back in the thread, I have a before-and-after shot with the trim strips installed. I was surprised at how much better it really does look...

(I also swapped out the Emotiva silver plates by the time I took the "after" shot as well)

Jeff

It figures you had the Trim strips Jeff. I honestly didn't recall seeing it in your thread and I have admittedly not combed through all 57 pages of this thread!!
Landshark just had such a clean, modern look going on with all the custom RSH shelves it just popped into my head that trim strips would be an easy call to make. They do make quite a difference.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23094358

Wow, not sure I should follow Gary's masterpiece but, someone has to so here goes!

Two weeks ago my future son-in-law set up my HT and server PC's which inspired me to start working on the equipment racks. With the closet space and no access to the rear of the racks I planned to use drawer guides so the racks can be pulled out for access. I bought guides rated for 100 lbs, some 1x3 & 1x12 pine and Rubbermaid shelving at HD. I started by building the "drawers" and installing the guides on the 2x6 rails.

The rack frames are 55 x 20 1/2 inches with interior width of 19 inches. I settled on drilling 1/2 holes for pins to hold the shelves. Alot of drilling and painting some 240 of them. I went this route because it seemed the least visible. I painted the closet interior flat Mouse Ears Black.

After quite a bit of adjusting and installing the frames and trim they were painted satin Mouse Ears Black. Then I started installing shelves and equipment.

The completed racks are loaded with equipment. I refer to the left one as the HT rack with the PS3, receiver/amps, DVD and CD changers; the right as the IT rack with the networking gear, monitor, HTPC and NAS/server. Only the IT equipment is up and running for now. A couple of items remain to be added: the cable box/HD/DVR and the UPS/surge protector.

I added grills above and below the racks for air flow and am planning to add fans controlled by a thermostat. The racks are fairly heavy so I will build a stand to support them when pulled out.

Dale
That's an excellent build!! I wish I'm that handy....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23104686

Jeff
Can't you tell I'm modeling mine after yours Jeff?!

And yes, I've already got the trim strips, just haven't have time to cut & put them on.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1680#post_23104495

What fans or fan kit are you using?

UQFP-4DRA for exhaust, which I have already... and hoping to find a UQFP-4RIS for intake duties.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguej  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1710#post_23173829

Can you tell me what rack this is? Also, does it come with all of the shelves and blanks?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

It looks like this rack has custom face plates from MA. I have them on my rack as well. MA has a database of the majority of products, but will also custom cut for electronics that aren't in their database.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It is tough to decide which one would work best for my application. Here is the equipment I currently have:

Pioneer SC-55

Oppo 103 Blu-Ray

DirecTV

MR4000 PANAMAX - 8-OUTLET SURGE PROTECTOR

Sony PS2

I want to make sure I have some extra room for future growth.

I saw that Amazon had the Sanus Classic CFR2136-B1 36U Rack for $899 with free shipping.

Product Features

Pre-assembled component rack

Includes two 1U shelves

Three 2U shelves

Three 3U shelves

Two 1U blanking panels

Product Dimensions 23.6 x 23.6 x 70.5 inches

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguej  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1710#post_23173829

Can you tell me what rack this is? Also, does it come with all of the shelves and blanks?

Thanks,

Jim

It is a Middle Atlantic WRK. Shelves are the MA custom ones.

Here is a current pic BDP 105 replaced the 83 and another QSC replaced the Hafler.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguej  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1710#post_23175018

Thanks for the feedback. It is tough to decide which one would work best for my application. Here is the equipment I currently have:

Poineer SC-55

Oppo 103 Bluray

DirecTV

MR4000 PANAMAX - 8-OUTLET SURGE PROTECTOR

Sony PS2

I want to make sure I have some extra room for future growth.

I saw that Amazon had the Sanus Classic CFR2136-B1 36U Rack for $899 with free shipping.

Product Features

Pre-assembled component rack

Includes two 1U shelves

Three 2U shelves

Three 3U shelves

Two 1U blanking panels

Product Dimensions 23.6 x 23.6 x 70.5 inches

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

The CFR2136 should be plenty big enough, for your current & future needs.

Take a look at the Omnimount RE42 also, it's taller & cheaper.
https://omnimount.box.net/shared/static/s5m26nsifl.pdf
http://www.omnimount.com/products/rack_systems_and_carts/rack_systems/re42/ http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004QMNQRW/ref=nosim/97707824rg2977-20?s=merchant&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sanus & Omnimount both offer pretty neat packaged deals, which are more affordable than Middle Atlantic product.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for your feedback and the links to the Omnimount. The RE42 looks great but my Pioneer SC-55 is 21" wide and this is only 19" wide. I really wanted the 42 as it would fit my HT perfect. Ill call them to see what they have that would fit my receiver.

Thanks,

Jim

Update:

I talked to Omnimount and they said they only offer 19" wide racks. I guess I will see what Sanus has.

Another update: The websites all show the Pioneer SC-55 as being 21x21x12. That is actually the box size. The width of the Pioneers is actually 17". This rack will be perfect.

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Jim

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Hehe. All manufactured AV racks discussed in this forum are standard 19" wide. Be careful buying eBay/craigslist, as 23" is another standard (telco).

I almost pulled the trigger on 44U MA RCS last week, and realized it wouldn't fit through the door. Tough decisions.

1701 - 1720 of 3161 Posts