AVS Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 3161 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm glad I checked it out. I was pretty close to picking up the Sanus Classic CFR2136-B1 36U. The great feedback from this group helped me to choose the one that will be perfect in my HT. CompSource has it for just over $740 including shipping. Seems like a pretty good price.

Good luck in your search.

Jim

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguej  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1710#post_23176268

Thanks for your feedback and the links to the Omnimount. The RE42 looks great but my Pioneer SC-55 is 21" wide and this is only 19" wide. I really wanted the 42 as it would fit my HT perfect. Ill call them to see what they have that would fit my receiver.

Thanks,

Jim

Update:

I talked to Omnimount and they said they only offer 19" wide racks. I guess I will see what Sanus has.

Another update: The websites all show the Pioneer SC-55 as being 21x21x12. That is actually the box size. The width of the Pioneers is actually 17". This rack will be perfect.

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Jim
I'm glad you finally discovered the actual AVR width!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1710#post_23176727

Hehe. All manufactured AV racks discussed in this forum are standard 19" wide.

Ditto what Neurorad said, also most consumer electronics( A/V receivers, Blu-ray players, etc. ) use a standard width around 17".

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguej  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1710#post_23176268

Thanks for your feedback and the links to the Omnimount. The RE42 looks great but my Pioneer SC-55 is 21" wide and this is only 19" wide. I really wanted the 42 as it would fit my HT perfect. Ill call them to see what they have that would fit my receiver.

Thanks,

Jim

Update:

I talked to Omnimount and they said they only offer 19" wide racks. I guess I will see what Sanus has.

Another update: The websites all show the Pioneer SC-55 as being 21x21x12. That is actually the box size. The width of the Pioneers is actually 17". This rack will be perfect.

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Jim
I have a SC-05 model and I'm 100% sure it's the same size as the SC-55 model. Mine fits fine in my rack...19" wide rack.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here is my rack as it stands today. It's still a work in progress (I need t to add some trim to it):

And here is a quick shot of the back. I can get more detailed pics if anyone wants, or you can go to my closet build thread below.:

I put up a thread of most of the process from studs to today if you'd like to take a look. Its here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470115/my-home-theater-rack-and-equipment-room

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1710#post_23251531

^^^ Nice floors! Looking into something like that as well. Your rack looks good and and like the tape idea you have inside the rack. Great job.

Thanks, those floors are those 6"x24" porcelain wood style tiles laid on a 45 degree angle. That hallway takes a 90 degree and I didn't think having the floors laid at a 90 degree would look good (one part of the hallway I ti thought would look weird). The guy who laid it did a pretty good job (I'm still having them come out and fix small issues), but they laid it like a real wood floor. That is to day that the grout lines aren't in a specific pattern. A lot of times the tile guys lay them in a brick pattern so that the grout lines line up every other row. I didn't want that, and they didn't want to do it that way (Which was great). They were also one of the few companies willing to jack up the air handler and lay the tile under it (as the tile continues into that equipment room).

And the tape was just one of those inspired moments you get when trying to solve a problem. If you're gonna try it, realize that I used electrical tape in the center of the blue tape (sticky sides together) so that you wouldn't see blue between the gaps. Since people go into that room to get stuff out of the printer, I'm trying my best to close up those gaps to prevent light bleed. It won't matter much once I get the hinged panel over the rack.

Thanks again for the kind comments
I spent many an hour going through this thread for ideas

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Now that is one heck of a score. Nice find.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Racks are easy to pick up cheap. Look on ebay in the city nearest you and you'll no doubt find many for very little, especially if they are in the central business district. If you have a vehicle capable of moving them, you can often pick them up for the starting price of 99c as people don't want the hassle of going there to collect and so don't bid them up. Sellers are usually jst looking for them to be gone - they may makeno money on the sale but they don't have to spend time or effort to get rid ofsomething unwanted.

I picked up one similar with many cat 5 plates, 12 way power board, several shelves incl one sliding for $1 recently in Sydney CBD and the seller, the owner of a large commercial space being renovated for new tennants wouldn't even take my $ as he was happy that it was going to be used and not go to landfill. This was not the first similar bargain found, but the fifth, all for some patience and effort. If I'd purchased what I have new, I'd be over 2k out of pocket, but have less than $100 and some time and sweat equity.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I see lots of racks on CList all the time, but not sure if they would work. Are most racks compatible with adding shelving and stuff to make them functional? Most look like older server racks for computers, and not Audio.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1700_100#post_23306388

I see lots of racks on CList all the time, but not sure if they would work. Are most racks compatible with adding shelving and stuff to make them functional? Most look like older server racks for computers, and not Audio.
Computer racks and audio racks are the same. The difference is what you put in them, and some dimensions. They are all a standard 17" between rails wide, but the actual width, depth and height of rack cabinets varies a lot. Some are wider to allow for increased airflow for applications with a lot of heat to remove, and the depth varies depending upon what a customer wants to put in it. Most audio gear is well under 500mm deep, so a rack that deep or more between front and rear rails will carry almost all audio/video gear used at home. A tape measure will show if you have a differing requirement. Once you buy one, just purchase shelves of the correct depth.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/main.htm

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
...Computer racks and audio racks are the same. The difference is what you put in them, and some dimensions. They are all a standard 17" between rails wide,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1720_40#post_23306440

Don't you mean 19" as standard width?
Not necessarily...
Quote:
A 19-inch rack is a standardized frame or enclosure for mounting multiple equipment modules. Each module has a front panel that is 19 inches (482.6 mm) wide, including edges or ears that protrude on each side which allow the module to be fastened to the rack frame with screws.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1700_100#post_23306440

Don't you mean 19" as standard width?
Yes, typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1700_100#post_23306957

Not necessarily...
And how is that inconsistent with what I wrote in #1736?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Also keep in mind some computer racks have square holes. They can be used also, there are nuts that can be used with the square holes, but this is something you need to keep an eye out for.

1721 - 1740 of 3161 Posts