AVS Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 3160 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1740#post_23435933


These racks all look amazing...I am definitely interested in the Middle Atlantic racks.....Question for rack owners...i have a fanless HTPC...I built it so i wouldnt hear ANYTHING while i was watching my movies....arent all those racks with their fans noisy? especially since many of them are in the same room with you??
Not really, I also replace any audible fans with near silent(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Thanks guys for the inputs!! I guess just getting quiet fans and dealing with the noise seems to be the consensus....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1740#post_23436024


There are quiet fans. If I were you I would put some in my PC as well.
why should i put a fan in my fanless case?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1740#post_23436551


Thanks guys for the inputs!! I guess just getting quiet fans and dealing with the noise seems to be the consensus....

why should i put a fan in my fanless case?

Electronics life span is severly shortened by chronic high temps. Does your processor have a fan? Yes it does and all the heat pushed out by the fan stays around the rest of your pc components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
My htpc case is a fanless design...it uses copper heat pipes from the CPU to pull the heat away out towards the case which has fins to dissipate the heat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,052 Posts
This is also why a lot of racks end up with plexiglass doors on them. Either jump through hurdles trying to silence the gear or just hide it behind an acrylic panel. Now, even with a door you would still want to aim for quieter gear to start with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Hey, everyone that has a free standing rack, Casters on carpet?


My rack backs up to a wall and super hard to access the back, has anyone had experience with a tall rack on casters? Should I worry about tipping, carpet dmg, etc...


Also MA casters vs buying from home depot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,233 Posts
At my last house I had my rack on casters because I was renting and could not cut a whole in the wall. The rack was so heavy that it bent the casters and the rack was not movable. Since then I bought my house and put it in the wall, but if I didn't put it in the wall I would have tried using track rails or something else other than casters. I think that over time it could possibly damage your carpet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1740#post_23439314


My htpc case is a fanless design...it uses copper heat pipes from the CPU to pull the heat away out towards the case which has fins to dissipate the heat

Hey jsketto,


Yes your PC may be a fan-less design, but read up on how temp effects gear, that PC may be rated fan-less in an open environment but the second you throw it in a rack it will directly effect the temp of the surround equipment. You need to keep the temperature of your rack below a certain temp or else the life of the device drops 20/30%.


refer to this: middleatlantic.com/pdf/ThermalManagement.pdf‎
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,233 Posts
You do not want the temp above 85 degress F and I thought that I read somewhere a while back that it could actually shorten the life span to about 50%. Could be wrong about that but for sure nothing above 85 degress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadepoe  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1740#post_23458376


Hey, everyone that has a free standing rack, Casters on carpet?


My rack backs up to a wall and super hard to access the back, has anyone had experience with a tall rack on casters? Should I worry about tipping, carpet dmg, etc...


Also MA casters vs buying from home depot.
I use a MA ERK-3520 rack, with a MA CBS-ERK-20( commercial grade caster base for 20" depth model, rated for 1300 lbs. ).

At ( 68.5" tall x 22" wide x 20" deep ), it rolls easily over my Berber carpet. I probably couldn't tip it if I tried, with the weight being evenly spread. Tipping really shouldn't be a problem, if it's not top heavy & too tall. No carpet damage, just carpet indentations from the wheels( same as furniture would make ). I would use the MA caster solution, get the commercial grade if it's offered. What MA rack model are you using? Height?



I just pull it out( using the handle panel ) & swivel around, for access to the back.

http://s489.photobucket.com/user/ZIPPO_01/media/DSC_1961.jpg.html

http://s489.photobucket.com/user/ZIPPO_01/media/DSC_2000.jpg.html

http://s489.photobucket.com/user/ZIPPO_01/media/DSC_1946.jpg.html

http://s489.photobucket.com/user/ZIPPO_01/media/DSC_1940.jpg.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1740#post_23458392



At my last house I had my rack on casters because I was renting and could not cut a whole in the wall. The rack was so heavy that it bent the casters and the rack was not movable. Since then I bought my house and put it in the wall, but if I didn't put it in the wall I would have tried using track rails or something else other than casters. I think that over time it could possibly damage your carpet.
Slim-5 Series rack? Were you using MA casters? How much weight were they rated for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,233 Posts
Wow you found my old set up! Nice! Yes it is a slim 5 rack 26" depth. I do not know what caters they were because I bought the frame from a guy on craigslist and the casters were already on. With all the weight of my equipment in the rack, it bent them. That is before I put amps in there too! I had to put four 4x4's underneath to keep it level and I had to unscrew the sides that I made every time I needed to access the inside. After I moved and built it into the wall, I had to cut the casters off. That was the only way to get them off because of how they bent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadepoe  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1740#post_23458376


Hey, everyone that has a free standing rack, Casters on carpet? My rack backs up to a wall and super hard to access the back, has anyone had experience with a tall rack on casters? Should I worry about tipping, carpet dmg, etc... Also MA casters vs buying from home depot.

Cheap casters look it, and may not hold up to the total weight AND lateral forces put on them when you want to shift the rack.


But consider how often you actually expect to be moving it. It might be worth planning on just putting down something over the carpet to accommodate the casters during those rare occasions you need to move the rack.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,332 Posts
I would stay away from casters on carpet particularly if it is deep pile carpet: the weight of the rack concentrated on the wheels can damage the carpet and it will be extremely difficult to move the rack (the casters tend to 'dig in' to the carpet)


another solution I tried, with no success, was to use the rack extension kit for the Slim 5: the extension pieces on carpet caused misalignment while attempting to pull the rack out onto it: it requires near perfect alignment to stay absolutely level with the rack: as the carpet is depressed due to rack weight, it is impossible to maintain alignment.


I agree with the suggestion to put a wood or metal plate on the carpet so the casters are on the plate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadepoe  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1740#post_23458393


Hey jsketto,


Yes your PC may be a fan-less design, but read up on how temp effects gear, that PC may be rated fan-less in an open environment but the second you throw it in a rack it will directly effect the temp of the surround equipment. You need to keep the temperature of your rack below a certain temp or else the life of the device drops 20/30%.


refer to this: middleatlantic.com/pdf/ThermalManagement.pdf‎

thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Hi guys!


I'm still on a pursuit for a rack solution. I haven't decided whether to use a rack or a custom shelving system.

In both cases I would like a back door at the rear because the place is in a brick wall that separates two rooms. The doors ought to be discrete and noise proof.


Suggestions are welcome. For racks too.

Dimensions - width+depth: 60 cm (23.62"), height, 210 cm (82.67")

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerchy  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1770#post_23487655


Hi guys!


I'm still on a pursuit for a rack solution. I haven't decided whether to use a rack or a custom shelving system.

In both cases I would like a back door at the rear because the place is in a brick wall that separates two rooms. The doors ought to be discrete and noise proof.


Suggestions are welcome. For racks too.

Dimensions - width+depth: 60 cm (23.62"), height, 210 cm (82.67")


I'd go with a rack. If budget is limited, checkout Sanus, you can get a fully equipped rack for about $1K (equivalent MA would be over $2K)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,824 Posts
eBay is typically loaded with guys looking to move Middle Atlantic racks for pennies on the dollar. Sometimes they even come with a lot of accessories (fans, shelves, drawers, etc.). Keep your eyes peeled there and, given a little patience, you can cobble together a full-on MA rack for a hugely discounted price.


I have two MRK-4431 racks that came with all the thermal and power management equipment, doors, fan tops, cable lacing bars, a few shelves, etc. - all for $650 delivered for both racks. I've picked up rackshelves for as little as $20 and blanks / vents for even less. All I have to do is order the custom faceplates for those items that are not rack-mountable and both racks will be fully optioned for less than $1000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG  /t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1770#post_23488533


eBay is typically loaded with guys looking to move Middle Atlantic racks for pennies on the dollar. Sometimes they even come with a lot of accessories (fans, shelves, drawers, etc.). Keep your eyes peeled there and, given a little patience, you can cobble together a full-on MA rack for a hugely discounted price.


I have two MRK-4431 racks that came with all the thermal and power management equipment, doors, fan tops, cable lacing bars, a few shelves, etc. - all for $650 delivered for both racks. I've picked up rackshelves for as little as $20 and blanks / vents for even less. All I have to do is order the custom faceplates for those items that are not rack-mountable and both racks will be fully optioned for less than $1000.

I've seen plenty of used ones for pennies on the dollar, which is great if it will be hidden, but it it's visible you probably have little choice but to buy new because of scratches/dings, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,824 Posts
I've found most to be in good whape and some in near-perfect condition (like mine). Middle Atlantic has a product code "WRINKLE" which is color-matched touch-up paint for their racks. It fills any light scratches in beautifully.


Most of the racks I've seen are built into framework or a closet of some sort. Even the ones built through the wall have very little of the actual rack exposed after rack shelves and ears are installed.


Here's pics of my find:
http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/l8_apex/media/FrontofMAracksprotrudingthroughfuturewall.jpg.html

http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/l8_apex/media/TwoMiddleAtlantic44spaceMRKracksinequipmentroomfacingbasementhallway.jpg.html
 
1761 - 1780 of 3160 Posts
Top