AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use The Fifth Element as my show off DVD for my modest home theater. Now I am looking for an AUDIO show off disc that will really make my system shine. Just curious as to what others use.

Thanks in advance,

SMD

p.s.

if there is a thread covering this already please point me to it, thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Madonna- Immaculate Collection...

The BEST imaging CD I have ever heard... Take Track 17, the thunderstorm is so real you are conviced it must be coming from outside... My Paradigm Studio 100's are 7 feet apart and 2 feet in front of the wall and they give an image that is a good 14-20 feet wide... Also, on certain songs, sounds are projected past me!!! WOW!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sarah Brightman - La Luna - It'll make you cry.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those of you that like to rock a little harder try Metallica's Cunning Stunts DVD, I have been using this as my showoff disc for audio(and the video is sharp too!). I have Hell Freezes Over but I dont have DTS on my system so I dont get the full sound from it.

SMD

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Allman Brothers- Mountain Jam (Eat A Peach)

Traffic -Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Wagner -Ride of the Valkeries, NY Philharmonic

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Don't forget about The Blue Man Group's CD with some really wild sonic acrobatics.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Music of Bernard Herrmann conducted by Elmer Bernstein.

Sardaramani on Water Lily Acoustics

Pretty much any Chesky CD.

Stravinsky The Fire Bird on Reference Recordings or Fantasia 2000

·
Registered
39 Posts
I prefer things less "studio" than what most of you have mentioned here. My current fav is Bjork's "Gling Glo" -- an import disc of her singing with minimal Jazz piano & bass accompaniment. Because of the non-english vocals, I find it much easier to focus on the actual sounds rather than the words.

Another good one is Stefon Harris' "Red Clouds of Dust"

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
The "City of Angels" soundtrack has numerous variety of excellent tracks, is well recorded, and also HDCD.

I know prefer Phantom Menace over Fifth Element & Gladiator for DVD sonics. There is a lot of shifting bass at each speaker if you set them to large and they can handle it

- Andy

·
Registered
129 Posts
you could use Fantasia 2000 DVD in DTS, just turn off the TV. I suggest the Carnival of the animals or Tin soldier.

I use Diane Schurr, the song Sunday kind of love. incredible vocals and great bass. simple yet elegant.

for more complex music I use Don Fagen tomorrows girls or other songs from the same album.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're a blues fan, check out Mighty Sam McClain's "Give it up to Love" on the Audioquest label. This entire recording really makes a high-end system absolutely shine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh yah, I forgot to mention one of my other fav's:

The remastered "Stop Making Sense" (Talking Heads) DVD. Its got both 2.0 and 5.1 mixes, and is really great, and fun music to boot.

Steve

·
Registered
383 Posts
For The harder stuff:

* The Metallica Cunning Stunts DVD is awsome if your into hard rock. Hell, I'm not even a real fan, but it's a great DVD.

* Led Zeppelin - Remasters compilation. The original recordings were real good. Jimmy Page remastering them.....Awsome!

* Rush - Moving Pictures (a classic)

On the lighter side.........meow........

* Sara Mclachlan - Mirrorball

* Dire Straits - Dire Straits

* The Eagles HFO

* Fantasia 2000.

* David Grey (gray?) - White Ladder. My wife just got it. There is some real musical bass notes here and there that will really use your sub. Great easy listening music.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I really like the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra recording by Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Orchestra on London records.

The imaging and realism is outstanding and I use it to judge any equipment or speakers that come through my house...

·
Registered
172 Posts
My favorite is Sonia Dada's Day at the Beach. There's lots of great vocal work and some very complex mixes of well recorded instruments. Play "Lester's Methadone Clinic" and listen for all the little parts to come into the final mix. Warn you, though, if you hear this on a top-flight system, yours may never sound as good again.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.