AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I assume this is what you are wanting? Planet 9 audio, around 299.00 if memory serves me correctly, it's about 3 years old now, some of the gear in the rack has changed since this pic was taken.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That's a DIY project, using black matt MDF boards (3/4" thick), with open rear side ( black ortophonic fabric has been used to hide cables away and to allow proper ventilation ).

It's 3 months old only and I'm very happy with it's functionality & shape, though.

Cheers / Avliner.

·
Registered
725 Posts
this was given to me. i had to cut out the center of the shelves and slide it in. the only thing is, when i put a new component in (the new onkyo 604 yesterday)it's a hassle to wire it up. but it looks cool!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey pittdog1...finding a rack that's deep enough for a Sony juke player is a treat isn't (wasn't) it? I don't know if the're all the same depth, but a 400 disc is quite deep and the only choices I can find are $300 and up. Cool but pricy for me. I do really like yours though. Is it square or angled slightly to the back?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
WalMart microwave carts, ~$20 (each).

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfan70 /forum/post/0

Hey pittdog1...finding a rack that's deep enough for a Sony juke player is a treat isn't (wasn't) it? I don't know if the're all the same depth, but a 400 disc is quite deep and the only choices I can find are $300 and up. Cool but pricy for me. I do really like yours though. Is it square or angled slightly to the back?

It's square and the front of all the shelves are rounded. I really liked the looks of it and it was tall enough to get all my gear in it, some of the gear has changed since that pic was taken and i don't think they sell it anymore. The changer is a 300 disc. The receiver is a Pioneer 1014tx and is very deep as well but it all fits even with banana plugs. I think i have more views of it in my gallery here at AVS, not sure. Click on my name on my post and then, my gallery.

·
Registered
270 Posts
cant recall the name but it was like 300 cnd much cheaper then the sony version

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
A/V racks on a college student budget, not the sturdiest but wow are they easy to assemble and disassemble

Two $25 tv stands from Kmart put together to get:
http://my.fit.edu/~jgillow/images/HT/Amp_stand.jpg

And another two $25 bookshelves:
http://my.fit.edu/~jgillow/images/HT/Misc_stand.jpg

I spent another $20 on some craft store supplies to make black fabric covers when watching a movie in the dark. Magnets attach the fabric on the top & bottom of the amp stand, and for the two bookshelves I just used magnets at the top and a dowel rod on the bottom to weigh down the fabric. Remote control penetrates the fabric no problem. Not the cleanest solution but it was the best I could come up with so far.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Love the kmart amp stands. Whats the feedback destroyer for, karaoke?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks,

Yeah there is no way we could do open rack anyways, we have three cats, and there is no way I am letting the cat hair get into my system. I am actually trying to come up with some way to push air into the rack while not sucking it out from the family room. Only problem is anything I want modify requires disassembling everything in the rack to cut some new holes for ventalation. I am very finicky about my hobbies. But I also wanted to make sure there were as few wires visable from the family room as possible. Sounds easy enough right? Well the rack is actually sitting in my wood working shop, which meant that everything needed to be air tight to keep sawdust out, and I crack the access door open an inch or two while watching movies to get the heat out. Had an absolute blast doing it. Have been tempted numerous times to set the TV into the wall. I just know we won't have the TV long enough to justify it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.