Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Did/Will anyone record the original version of Solaris (the original Russian version of the current George Clooney remake)? I missed the showing on TCM (it clashed with Oz on HBO) and it's now showing on IFC which is not available in my area :(

If anyone would like to send it over I'd be eternally grateful! My RTV4504 number is 00055-09167-15109

Thanx

Joel

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just wait about a week. Judging from how it's doing at the box office, that's about how long it will take for the new one to show on Fox.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I set my replay to record the showing today on IFC at 2:45. I can send it tonight. The original version looks interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

I've heard quite a bit about the original - it's 'sposed to be quite bizarre (which is why I'm interested in seeing it!)

Joel

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
And if you're into bizarre russian SF make sure not to miss "Stalker". Really good moviemaking by the same director (Andrei Tarkovsky)

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0079944

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
on Turner Classic Movies.

Stalker

Friday 12/27/2002 02:15 AM

A timeless, chilling film about a piece of land, called "the Zone," that seems to exert mysterious powers over those who enter it, Stalker (1979) is a notably minimalist piece of science fiction from Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky. Based on a 1973 novel, Roadside Picnic by Soviet science fiction writers Arkadi and Boris Strugatsky, Stalker is a film that unfolds more in the realm of the internal mind than the external post-apocalyptic universe depicted in the film. As Louis Menashe so rightly observes in Magill's Survey of Cinema, "It is the viewer who imparts the 'special effects' through imagination and intuition." For this reason, Stalker's brand of conceptual science fiction has made the film something of an intellectual's cult film.

(more here)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I saw the original Solaris in a video store years ago. So just go to a store with a good SF section and I'm sure you'll be able to rent it.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
The original SOLARIS is now available on DVD in a 2-disc Criterion Collection version with the obligatory extras. I attended the first U.S. showing of the film back in LA circa 1975, which was the 185 minute original cut. It was long...but interesting.

Eric

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas

on Turner Classic Movies.

Stalker

Friday 12/27/2002 02:15 AM

Sorry about this, I believed the TCM schedule. But, apparently their broadcast day starts at 6AM and ends at 5:59 AM. Thus any after midnight showtimes listed are for the following day. So Stalker was shown on Saturday at 2:15AM. I hope that anyone interested in seeing it was able to catch it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to worry......Since Cablevision changed their lineup last month, TCM moved into the rebuild only lineup, which I cannot receive in my area. Thanks Cablevision :mad:

Joel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.