AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone please send me something short to test my 4000 machine?

My Internet Identity is: Gadgetguy

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
We need your replay's internet number to send you something. On the internet identity screen, the number in the upper right on the same line as "Internet Identity: Gadgetguy" is the number you'll need to give to people. The nickname is just what appears in the address book of someone who's added you.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Ok, I've sent a 1 minute segment at standard quality to you. You need to go into the replay guide and the received tab and then accept the send.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Ok, let me know when it finishes.

On my new mystery bonus feature wishlist is the ability to see how the sends you set up are going so that you don't accidentally delete the show before its done!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it possible to received 2 shows at the same time? If this isn't already known I am willing to test. I am currently receiving a show that should take all day today, Sunday June 9th. If one or more people would like to send me a short test clip I will report back here.

my id: 0005-09166-71078

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yup, you can receive a bunch of shows at the same time. They'll be slow as all get out though :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think it would be any slower than receiving them separately. Most peoples' broad band connections are capped for upstream at 128Kb, 256Kb, or 384Kb. My weekly Norton Anti-virus updates typically come down between 2Mb and 3Mb and I have received downstreams as much as 4Mb on my cable modem by downloading multiple items from different sites at the same time. I don't think the bottleneck would be my connection if that is what you are saying. The ReplayTV should be able to handle it from a CPU standpoint if I am not doing much else with it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
With my connection, if I download one thing, it goes at one speed. If I add another thing, it splits that original speed between the two. Add more and more and they continue to split, always equalling the same total bandwith.

I was not aware that there are home user systems that don't work that way. Heck, even my office t1 has a capped total bandwith and it gets split amongst all users.

The TOTAL time it takes to download them all should still be the same, but you won't finish any of them individually as quickly as you would if you downloaded separately.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
With my connection, if I download one thing, it goes at one speed. If I add another thing, it splits that original speed between the two. Add more and more and they continue to split, always equalling the same total bandwith.
That's only true if the slowest part of the paths is shared between the transfers.

Let's look at a vastly simplified internet, with just five edge nodes and a central router.

nodes server1 and server2 both have 10megabit symmetric connections to the router. These are the servers you're used to downloading from.

nodes user1, user2 and user3 have 1megabit connections router->node, but 100kbit connections node->router. You're user1, other R4Ks are user2 and user3.

So...You're downloading something from server1; it can get from the server to the router at 10megabit, but from the router to you at only 1 megabit; it'll go at 1 megabit.

While it's downloading, you start another download from server2; it could also go node->router at 10megabit, but the connection from the router to the usernode is full, so it can't get the full megabit there. It'll share, and probably even out at about 500kbit each.

That's what you're used to seeing -- your connection is the slowest part of the link, and it gets shared.

Now, instead imagine you're receiving a show from user2. It can get from user2 to the router at 100kbit, and from the router to you at 1megabit -- but there's no way it can use the full 1megabit, the router can't get stuff that fast to send on. So, the transfer goes at 100kbit, and there's still 900kbit left in your downstream pipe unused.

So, you start another show download, from user3; this one can also go at 100kbit from the node to the router, and up to 900kbit from the router to you -- so again, it actually goes at 100kbit, without affecting the other download's speed at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.