AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two new Replays, a 5040 and a 5080. Both are connected to an Ethernet LAN with basically zero traffic. Both units connect to a LinkSys 10/100 Switch. I haven't performed any throughput tests on the LAN, but I guess maybe I should because watching a video on one unit that was recorded on the other is NOT satisfactory. I'm getting little little fragments fragments of of of of dialog dialog repeated repeated twice twice. It's really bad at the beginning and the end of the show. It's like listening to someone stutter. It's not a minor irritiation, it's unwatchable.

I have some other non-trivial issues with the new 5080, like Commercial Advance that doesn't wait for commercials and skips 10 and 15 minute chunks of the program. My wife turned CA off after only a a few shows, complaining she had missed large sections of each show.

It's hard to believe I got TWO bad units, one purchased at the local

Best Buy and then a second purchased from Amazon.com about two weeks later. I don't really buy the network bottleneck issue since it's a 100MB network with two computers on it, one of which is almost never turned on. surely the machine playing the video buffers more than two seconds of the program? Sheesh, if not, wireless networks will NEVER work.

I'm not bashing Replay (yet) because I suspect I just got one, or maybe two bad samples.

Too bad they don't staff their phone on the weekend so I could maybe get an answer to my concerns before Monday. BTW, I am told they will soon expand their support hours.

David

·
Registered
538 Posts
Try streaming from one to the other with the serving one turned off.

Have you tried doing pings to each of the boxes to see if there is any network loss?

I've had my 5040 skip a large chunk once or twice on L&O. CA isn't perfect, and never will be. It also has a lot to do with the signal feeding the units. I've notice CA works fantastic on CSI, a very strong station on my analog cable, but won't work well with my wife's soaps on a somewhat less perfect channel.

Also, I think the unit won't ever get to the full 100Mb/s speed. Probably maybe, 12Mb/s. See other threads on dvarchive for actual numbers.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by haysdb
...I don't really buy the network bottleneck issue since it's a 100MB network with two computers on it, one of which is almost never turned on.
Although the network is critical, as we saw with the 4xxx, streaming on the 5xxx is possibly still in beta stages? Certainly may be network issues, but the fact that it worked powered off suggests it's the software?

I doubt your units are bad. We'll likley have to wait for the expected new software build. But do call them on Monday... if you don't solve it before then.

As for CA on the 5xxx, mine works quite well. However it entirely depends on the program, and sometimes the signal. It didn't work @ all on Birds of Prey so I had to turn if off. That's normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this same problem with audio stuttering (up to 8 to 10 audio repeats with frozen video) when streaming back and forth between my two 5040's shortly after installing them 7 wks ago. I have a hardwired 10/100 Belkin Cable/DSL router. It lasted about 2 weeks or so and then the problem disappeared. I assumed that the weekly reboots may have taken care of the problem. Try rebooting each 5040.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gasmeister
I assumed that the weekly reboots may have taken care of the problem. Try rebooting each 5040.
What software build are your boxes running? (from 411-Zones screen). Rebooting here didn't help.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't try rebooting the 5080 since I had just moved it downstairs, so I figured I HAD rebooted it, but you know, that seems to have fixed the problem with the video streaming.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.