AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I, along with a few others here, are researching HTPCs. Thought this might be an interesting thread - What components makes us your HTPC? What do you use it for?

This should be interesting....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Chris,

This has been done before (many times?) Try doing a search on: HTPC configuration or components...

my htpc config is, as follows:

mo/bo = Asus tusl2-c

cpu = Celeron 1.3g, w/Zalman flower cooler

ram = white lable pc133 sdram 256 mb

vid/card = Evga, Nvidia gForce4 mx 440 SE, dual-head,

w/Zalman heat-pipe cooler.

capture = MyHD MP100

sound = SB Live! 5.1 (oem, white box)

lan = D-Link wireless

p/s = Fudin 400 watt

Use it for:

HD capture 95%

DVD playback 3%

C/D, Mp3 playback 1 %

surf the web 1%

·
Registered
202 Posts
i think there should be a sticky or separate gallery forum for these types of threads, and also for the "check my spec" threads... they both tend to pollute the search results when you're looking for some info/troubleshooting on a particular component.

i guess that's also a good reason to not allow sigs on technical info boards, as well.

just my .02! :)

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I like that shelf unit... It's exactly what I need :(. Unfortunately my wife, thinking she was being nice, went out and bought an A/V shelf unit and put it together to surprise me. It was a surprise alright, since the depth on it was only 15" and I couldn't fit a lot of my equipment in without removing the back paneling :).

-MP

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is the exact reason I wish all you guys would send in your specs to our site...

we're working on building a very large database of HTPC's, including pictures of the systems, a listing of the parts, any thoughts you have on your system, and any other items you wish to put in it.

Just think, if I could get everyone to send them in, we'd not have to worry about this, you could just say "go check out the HTPC gallery at www.htpcnews.com " and they could find out as much as they want. :)

(if your wanting to send in your specs, feel free to do so :) ) we'll have it dynamically setup later today or tomorrow, but for now you can just email it all to me and I'll put it in manually!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That was awfully nice of your wife but lucky me my wife knows better than to buy me anything electronics related without knowing exactly what I want before hand. :)

My specs.

AMD Athlon 2400+

512MB PC-2700 DDR

80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

ATI All In Wonder 7500 w ATI Remote Wonder

Creative Labs Audigy

Lite-On 16x DVD

ATX 0619b Tower case

Audio Authority VGA to Component Transcoder

Running: XP Pro, Snapstream, TheaterTek

Works well, just pissing with FFDShow @ Theatertek though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cowtown
That was awfully nice of your wife but lucky me my wife knows better than to buy me anything electronics related without knowing exactly what I want before hand. :)
I'm also in the same boat. My girlfriend (live in) is smart enough to not buy anything that plugs into a wall, or houses things that plug into a wall, unless it's used to remove wrinkles or make hair look good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cowtown

My specs.

AMD Athlon 2400+

512MB PC-2700 DDR

80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

ATI All In Wonder 7500 w ATI Remote Wonder

Creative Labs Audigy

Lite-On 16x DVD

ATX 0619b Tower case

Audio Authority VGA to Component Transcoder

Running: XP Pro, Snapstream, TheaterTek

Works well, just pissing with FFDShow @ Theatertek though.
How do you like the AIW 7500? Is the AIW 9000 that much better?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gongzero
i think there should be a sticky or separate gallery forum for these types of threads, and also for the "check my spec" threads... they both tend to pollute the search results when you're looking for some info/troubleshooting on a particular component.

i guess that's also a good reason to not allow sigs on technical info boards, as well.

just my .02! :)
i think these are good as people can see what others have used and what works with what.. search?? who uses the search and when you are searching for something isnt it usualy about something with what works or what doesnt? or maybe someones review?? its nice to be abe to search find someone who has something simular to yoursetup and maybe pm them asking them for help.. maybe they have some insight. this is more then just a tech forum.. this is a place to also get ideas and find out what others are doing..

·
Registered
415 Posts
My HTPC:

HardWare:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MOBO

Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ processor

1024mb ram

200GB maxtor HD

ATI 9500 Radeon Pro graphics Card

M-Audio Revolution SoundCard

Software:

MyHTPC

PowerDVD

WinDVD

PowerStrip

DVDDecryptor

DVDShrink

DVDProfiler

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
New HTPC Specs:

Case: Kanam Accent HTPC Case

Power Supply: 430W Antec TruePower (2 fans; quiet)

Motherboard: Asus P4PE motherboard

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8MHz CPU

CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Copper CPU cooler with variable speed fan and temperature sensing control

Case Cooling: Thermaltake Smart Case Fan with temperature sensing control

Hard Disks: Western Digital Caviar 10 GB IDE HDD (OS and programs only)

Seagate 120 GB SATA HDD (10 GB partition for system backup; 110 GB for data and HD recording)

Video Card: Radeon 9500 with Catalyst 3.6 drivers

Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 410 Card

HDTV Tuner Card: MyHD MDP-100 Card

Video Capture: Holo3D - I Video Processor Card (for S-Video from my DSS box)

Monitor: Panasonic Plasma, 42", ED (848x480)

Keyboard/Mouse: Gyration wireless combo

Software:

Powerstrip 3.45 (resolution 848x480, 60 Hz vertical, 30 Hz horizontal)

TheaterTek 1.5.46

MyHD 1.61

Holo3D 2.20

MainLobby 2.30 server edition

DVDLobby 2.25

MusicLobby 1.75

Music Lobby for PPC (Dell Axim)

Girder 3.2.8

Motherboard Monitor

LCD Smartie

The system is fairly stable, except for intermittent problems with the Holo3D card that may be heat-related. I'm going to add one more 60mm case fan, and perhaps a slot fan, to see if it increases the card's stability. If that fails, I'll ditch the Holo3D and go with the FlyVideo/DScaler combination.

As for processing power, it plays back WMV9 content (T2 Extreme Edition) flawlessly.

PM if you have any questions.

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is my setup. I use it for watching DVDs, playing games, surfing the net, DVD Profiler, pretty much everything :)

CPU: Pentium 4 Canterwood 3.0 ghz

Mobo: ASUS P4C800 Deluxe

Mem: 1024MB Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR400

HDD: 72gb RAID array (2x 36gb WD Raptor 10k SerialATA drives)

Vid: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB

Snd: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum EX

DVD: Pioneer DVD-120S slot loading DVD-ROM

Power: Antec TrueBlue 480 watt

Input: Old Type-M IBM keyboard going thru Scanteam 8300 keyboard wedge (to allow for Symbol barcode CCD gun) and Logitech optical mouse

Cooling: Thermaltake Spark7 copper cooling fan

Case: Ahanix Noblesse with cut window and blue lighting

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pen25
i think these are good as people can see what others have used and what works with what.. search?? who uses the search and when you are searching for something isnt it usualy about something with what works or what doesnt? or maybe someones review?? its nice to be abe to search find someone who has something simular to yoursetup and maybe pm them asking them for help.. maybe they have some insight. this is more then just a tech forum.. this is a place to also get ideas and find out what others are doing..
pen25,

by the looks of it, not enough people use the search function, which is why we keep seeing the same threads popping up again and again. i chalk it up mostly to people that are new to using forums. i think a board's search feature is its most powerful and useful feature, if it's used properly.

there's no doubt that this forum holds a vast wealth of information, provided by very helpful and very knowledgeable members. when my questions can't be answered by a few searches, i feel fairly confident that i can get whatever question i have answered by posting it.

my point was simply that, if i'm doing a search on, for example, "revo spdif output problems", it's not really helpful to get threads that only offer other members' spec listings because it contains the phrases "revo for spdif out" or something like that. that's all. i've seen "post your specs"-type subforums created at other boards, and they work well to weed out this type of problem in the search hits. it wasn't an attack, only a suggestion. :)

but i'm digressing. my HTPC project is in its "research and source out" stage, but here's what i'm looking at, and what i've got so far:
  • PSI/CRTCinema Digitalis Nexus HTPC Case (purchased)
  • Intel P4C @ 2.4GHz, 800MHz FSB
  • Intel D875PBZLK i875 motherboard, 800MHz FSB, Gigabit LAN, SATA, etc.
  • Zalman CNPS7000AlCu CPU Fan
  • 512MB PC3200 RAM
  • Zalman ZM400A-APF Power supply (purchased)
  • Vantec Stealth 80mm case fan (purchased)
  • Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro Ultimate, Fanless Heatpipe version
  • M-Audio Delta DiO 2496
  • Seagate Barracude 7200.7 160GB SATA hard drive
  • Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW (purchased)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
"How do you like the AIW 7500? Is the AIW 9000 that much better?"

The 7500 works well enough for it's current tasks. The 9000 is essentially the same card with just a bit more graphical poop. If I was going about this again, I'd probably get a Radeon 9600 with a seperate tuner card though ironically the SPDIF on the AIW is all I could get working, my Audigy was a 2 week exercise in frustration with no results, the SPDIF just wouldn't work. For what I use now it works great, with HD in mind I'd probably get a better card, one that at least supports AGP 8x preferably with 128MB of RAM. For tuner functionality it works well with Snapstream, so I can't complain about that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here are my specs :)

(HTPC)

Motherboard: Asus tusl2-c

CPU: 1.4ghz Celeron

RAM: 256meg Crucial

HD: 80 GB Maxtor

DVD: Pioneer DVD-105 (Slot Loading)

Sound: M-Audio Delta 410 (Using analog out)

VIDEO: ATI Radeon 7500

TV TUNER: Miro PCTV

MOUSE / KEYBOARD: Wireless / RF Logitech setup

REMOTE: Girder software. Controls my lights too using X10 plugin

NETWORK: Linksys 10/100 pci nic

CASE: Tower case. Going to get an HTPC desktop case soon

More info below

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.