AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order my rope lighting for my soffet tray that I am about to build but I'm at a loss as to what color to choose. Lets see some pics of everyones rope lighting

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
This is soffit design:

Blue Led light:

Unfinished room:

Pretty much finished room

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here:

Blue LED light from Ebay (no one else had 50 foot runs in 12 v for less)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Blue has a good look/feel - I like it. Anyone on this thread install blue, then went to white? Not sure if I'm 100% committed to blue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is the cheap incandesent rope light from Lowe's.

Hope this helps

Chip

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrm /forum/post/12916197

Blue has a good look/feel - I like it. Anyone on this thread install blue, then went to white? Not sure if I'm 100% committed to blue.

Gonzo went white to blue. Check his thread.

Woolly - did you PM Sleeks to add this to the sticky?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/12916662

Gonzo went white to blue. Check his thread.

Woolly - did you PM Sleeks to add this to the sticky?

I just saw the thread. I'll add it to the sticky. The resources in this forum never cease to amaze me.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrider /forum/post/12916698

I am building my HT room currently. Do I need to run the rope lighting on a low voltage transformer?

Thanks.

You can do it either way, although low voltage (12v) transformers sometimes humm. I used a grafik eye dimmer, which will dim rope light which is line voltage (120v). Be aware, that a G-E (presumably other dimmers too) need a certain minimum wattage to work, which can be an issue with LED rope of shorter distances. My run is about 35-40 feet, and about 0.8w per foot, dims fine.

Incandesant rope by its nature will use more electicity, and thus won't be an issue in shorter runs. I prefered LED to take a heat source out, plus its nifty.

EDIT - to answer questions below w/o further cluttering a picture thread:

I am not a GE expert, clearly, I didn't know the GE could do low-voltage, presumably w/a transformer. I went line voltage since I saw a discussion that it would work with the GE (maybe it was the transformer specifically).

Nifty - is in that it is cool to the touch and won't generate heat, that it should be long lived w/o bulbs going, that it is newer technology, and more efficient - but the operating costs would probably never be recovered by the upfront cost.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have rope light in my family room, living room, and theater. All bought from Birddog.

Family room (same color in living room)

Theater:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
so how about a rope light 101 for dummies (me
) class?

how does one wire it up? do i need an outlet in my soffit or just tie it into a wall switch?

i would like to run some down the soffits on both sides of my room.

thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I did LED lighting for my steps and my stage steps. I will post pics later. However to wite them up is no big task. I got the 12V low voltage version and I wored them up to a transformer, which BTW does not have to be big becasue they LV LED's only draw .84 watts per foot. Then I wired the transfornet to a switch which will be controlled via a creston systems.

I bought my lights from noveltylights.com, but I think they are all the same. when you buy them, they add on a 2 foot wip at teh end of the rope lighting so you can wire it up.

I also know you can buy them with a plug ready to go. It just depends on how you want and control them.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone with amber rope lighting

·
Registered
338 Posts
Blue from Walgreens Christmas clearance :)

Reactions: Amazing DJ

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just ordered clear. we will see how that looks. My HT is going to be pretty dark and even more so when I do the star ceiling with fidelio so I am hoping the clear will help with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the design process of building my basement HT and want to use rope lighting. Since my ceilings are low, what would be the minumum gap distance I could get away with, with it still looking great. As anyone experimented with different distances from the ceiling?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have a red rope lights in placed around my hometheater ceiling but I don't have a soffit or anything to hide it, I'd love to cover them but I am avoiding a soffit due to my ceiling height and I am thinking of crown moulding but don't know where to start. Need help for what size and is it safe to put a crown moulding close to the rope lights? the diagram below is this gonna work? the vertical line represents the wall. sorry for the drawing.

Rope light.doc 19k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rutlian

I think that would work out fine I plan to do something similar. The rope light can sit right on the wood it really does not give off much heat

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly /forum/post/12968451

Rutlian

I think that would work out fine I plan to do something similar. The rope light can sit right on the wood it really does not give off much heat

Thank you scott, and sorry for hijacking your thread. I was gonna put up another thread for my inquiry but put it here instead, I know you wont mine.

I have another question. Do you think a wood glue will be strong enough to hold the moulding? I plan to attached the moulding to the wood about 1'' thick and 2'' deep and then glue it to the drywall I have doubts doing it that way maybe you or anyone here can suggest how to attached it the wall.

Thanks again,

1 - 20 of 239 Posts