AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1093 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very clean ny888. I've always liked the enclosed cabinets too but that's personal preference. Wish I had the tinted glass, that's a nice touch. (300 rocks, my favorite HD movie in my limited collection at the moment.)

How do you guys read the screen? I'm about 8 feet away, but even with a 61 inch screen the font is a little small at 1920x1080.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoar /forum/post/12194197

How do you guys read the screen? I'm about 8 feet away, but even with a 61 inch screen the font is a little small at 1920x1080.

Same here - I increase the font size when I really have to read what's on the screen.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yamaha your vision is better than mine. I sit the same distance and can barely read the list of threads on this website. Guess that means I'll have to get a bigger screen. 120" should do the trick I think.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey ny888, great pics!! Dumbass question: What software are you running there? Is that Windows MCE or Vista or one of these freeware apps?

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschwar /forum/post/12196349

Hey ny888, great pics!! Dumbass question: What software are you running there? Is that Windows MCE or Vista or one of these freeware apps?

It's Vista Media Center with MyMovies plug-in.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Okay, here's mine:
  • Focal JMlab front & center speakers
  • NHT SuperZero surrounds
  • Velodyne SPL-800i subwoofer
  • SkyHD STB
  • Topfield TV5000PVRt/HDMI STB
  • Xbox 360
  • Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver
  • HTPC (Ahanix MCE303 case, Core 2 Quad 6600, HD DVD)
  • Invideo HomeCinema Gray 83" screen
  • Xenarc 7" VGA touch screen
  • Panasonic PT-AX100 projector

/politby

·
Registered
34 Posts

you seem to be missing the DVD drive cover, it'd look much better with it on.

I have the mce301 in silver
. It's the best looking case around, IMO. I swapped out dimmer blue LEDs for the power button, though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like the looks of the Ahanix mce301, 302, & 303's too. The problem I have with them is that they only accept low-profile expansion cards. Well, that, and that crazy idea of using a parallel cable to connect the VFD.

But what are you guys using for video cards and TV tuners in those slim cases?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne /forum/post/12248130

you seem to be missing the DVD drive cover, it'd look much better with it on.

I have the mce301 in silver
. It's the best looking case around, IMO. I swapped out dimmer blue LEDs for the power button, though.

I was debating with myself what to do. In order to fit the DVD drive cover flush, I would have to move the drive so far back into the case that the chassis button wouldn't reach the drive's eject button if I didn't add a spacer or something, so I never got around to mounting the cover.

After a while I decided that I think it actually looks better without the cover, besides the cover has no HD DVD logo.

But now that you mention it, I'm starting to think about it again...

/politby

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3 /forum/post/12248712

I like the looks of the Ahanix mce301, 302, & 303's too. The problem I have with them is that they only accept low-profile expansion cards. Well, that, and that crazy idea of using a parallel cable to connect the VFD.

But what are you guys using for video cards and TV tuners in those slim cases?

The 303 has a USB connected VFD, IRtrans compatible. I think this is much better than the iMON variety because it works with the MCE remote out of the box and also with LCDsmartie, which allows you to completely customize what the display shows.

As far as the expansion cards go, there are now a number of low profile graphics cards good enough for 1080p HD content that makes this a non-issue. And at least here in Europe, there are several options for TV cards which are also low profile so I didn't find this much of a problem. I'm not using my HTPC for TV though since there's no HD content to speak of available on terrestrial, and MCE doesn't support the DVB-S2 standard for satellite HD.

My video card is a Leadtek WinFast 8500GT low profile.

/politby

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby /forum/post/12250533

I was debating with myself what to do. In order to fit the DVD drive cover flush, I would have to move the drive so far back into the case that the chassis button wouldn't reach the drive's eject button if I didn't add a spacer or something, so I never got around to mounting the cover.

After a while I decided that I think it actually looks better without the cover, besides the cover has no HD DVD logo.

But now that you mention it, I'm starting to think about it again...

/politby

try removing the original cover. it usually slides off the dvd with a bit of force. after that, you don't have to pus the dvd into the chassis so far and the chassis button will likely hit the eject button.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here are the specs on mine:

Silverstone LC14m case w/ vfd and Imon

Corsair 520w PSU

Intel E6600 C2D 2.4ghz

Asus P5B Deluxe MB (I use onboard SPDIF)

Gskill 2GB DDR800 RAM

(2) 320GB WD HD in RAID1

LG GGC-H20L BluRay/HD DVD Drive

LiteOn DVD-RW 16x

Gigabyte 8600GTS passive cooled

Linksys Wireless G pci card

Logitech Harmony 880

Philips 42" PF7320A Plasma

Pioneer 1015tx A/V receiver

Software:

Windows XP SP2

PowerDVD Ultra

Meedio

Media Player Classic

ffdshow

AC3 Filter

This is just a temporary location until my basement is finished. It will be connected to a projector in the basement.

Time to fire it up.

A crappy pic I took of Spiderman3 BluRay and Dawn of the Dead DVD

All in all this has been a fun project and it works awesome with my harmony remote. I am working on building a NAS for all my media, so I can stream it to any display or TV in the house. =)

·
Registered
332 Posts
DC2R714

Does the harmony communicate with the IR receiver built into the Silverstone case? Did you silverstone case come with the iMoN remote control? Can you proram the harmony to control the PC? i.e. launch power dvd, control PowerDVD etc?

Thanks

41 - 60 of 1093 Posts