AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An argument can be made that the two top dogs in the LCD industry right now are the Samsung LN-XXA750 and the Sony KDL-XXZ4100. Therefore, I am sure a lot of people are interested in these, and more importantly how they stack up against one another. To help people out, post your impressions of the two in this thread. This can include owners impressions, store viewings, etc. Thanks.
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
38,207 Posts
Does't Sony use Samsung panels in their larger LCD sets(40" and higher)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
That's been my dilemma for MONTHS now. However, for the best bang for the buck, I finally broke down and decided that the A750 was definitely the better one. I'll officially be pulling the trigger on that in less than two weeks from now. However, I'm pretty sure that's all based on taste. If you think that the glossy screen will make the picture better, then you can jump on board my bandwagon, but if you're like my old days around here, and think that Sony is still king of the brand hill, then the Z4100 may pretty much seal the deal. However, it's all based on your taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
The Z4100 isn't even in the A750 or A650's league.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/14225162


Does't Sony use Samsung panels in their larger LCD sets(40" and higher)?

I thought Sony will go with Sharp next year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/14225162


Does't Sony use Samsung panels in their larger LCD sets(40" and higher)?

Allegedly, Samsung and Sony co-own the plant that makes their LCD panels. Beyond that, they compete like Serena and Venus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Not sure where one is getting the "top dogs" saw the Sony and Sammy next to the Toshiba 52XF550, and the Toshiba had better blacks, better motion technology by far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
the z4100 is more like the 650 if you want something to compare the 750 to you will have to wait for the xbr6 to come out. i have seem the 750 side by side with the sony xbr6. the xbe 6 will blow the samsung 750 away
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4nash /forum/post/14226735


the z4100 is more like the 650 if you want something to compare the 750 to you will have to wait for the xbr6 to come out. i have seem the 750 side by side with the sony xbr6. the xbe 6 will blow the samsung 750 away


This is an interesting comment. Can you please say where you compared them ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Believe it or not, I actually did get a chance to see both models side-by-side yesterday at BB here in the local area. Needless to say, even tho the Z4100 did actually look like a good space-saving TV, and the PQ is actually pretty good, and had some rather good features, I still favor the A750, only because it's at least $500 cheaper first of all, and on top of that, the PQ actually does still outshine the Z, the matte screen just makes the Z look dull, plus I'd much rather live with the halo effect than a Sony logo that lights up. I'm sorry... The glossy screen actually does give the A750 a look almost like it's a flat-panel CRT, rather than a LCD, like it actually is. Maybe it's SED meets LCD with the A750?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Z4100 vs 750 ??. z4100 is not even in the same class 750. it should be compared to 550 or 650. Probably in 2009 Z series may come close to 750 if sony gets lucky next year. It's too late now. They still have a chance with XBR6/7 but I doubt that when I look at PQ of Z and W series. Sorry sony !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob /forum/post/14230654


Believe it or not, I actually did get a chance to see both models side-by-side yesterday at BB here in the local area. Needless to say, even tho the Z4100 did actually look like a good space-saving TV, and the PQ is actually pretty good, and had some rather good features, I still favor the A750, only because it's at least $500 cheaper first of all, and on top of that, the PQ actually does still outshine the Z, the matte screen just makes the Z look dull, plus I'd much rather live with the halo effect than a Sony logo that lights up. I'm sorry... The glossy screen actually does give the A750 a look almost like it's a flat-panel CRT, rather than a LCD, like it actually is. Maybe it's SED meets LCD with the A750?

the sony logo that light up can be turned off anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Atm, although the Z is much nicer aesthetically, the price of the 750 simply can't be beat when compared to the Z4100. They are very similar TV's, but the price difference, imo, puts the 750 on top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Yeah, plus the Z4100 idea is not that new, maybe for Sony, but don't forget that Toshiba has beat Sony to that idea with the 350U first off, and now the XF550 carries on from that tradition. Maybe Mitsubishi was first before Toshiba? Can't remember, nothing unique about the Z, tho. I think that Samsung deserves the credit for innovation for their set, tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I will chime in with my impressions.


I was able to view both of these in a local best buy yesterday. Consequently, I wouldn't take this as 100% solid information as I think the best buy feeds/viewing conditions are poor to say the least.


Nevertheless, my impressions:


Sony KDL-46Z4100

-Beautiful styling w/ very thin bezel, semi-gloss display

-PQ was great. Very sharp details, and the blacks were better than I had expected

-Sound was adequate. Not as good as last year's XBR4, but no worse IMO than than Samsung A750

-Fairly good picture quality from side views. The blacks were much grayer after about 40 degrees off center, but other than that still a pretty vibrant picture.


Samsung LN46-A750

-Amazing PQ. Sharp details, solid blacks, decent SD, and great motion handling.

-Sound was adequate, very similar to Z4100.

-Slightly better off-axis viewing, IMO, than than Sony. Still a slight washout of colors and graying of blacks but only minor.


Overall, I think the PQ of the 750 is SLIGHTLY better than that of the Z. But only very slightly, and something you would not notice once you got these tvs in your home. I actually prefer the glossy screen of the samsung, and although I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, I do think it is what accounts for the slightly better PQ.


Also, the 46Z appears much bigger than the 750 in screen size thanks to differences in bezel. While I don't dislike the 750 bezel, the Z is much classier, nicer, and just plain "cooler". It has more of a wow factor, if you will.


Bottom line is both are great tvs that anyone would love, but I think I will wait to purchase until I see the new Samsung 8 Series w/ a thin bezel. I think that tv may have the best of both worlds.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top