AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a new 7.1 HT, but would like to save some $ by re-using some of my speakers. I have a pair of old Advent Legacy IIs which still sound better than anything I have heard under $1K/pair, and a pair of OHM D2s with refreshed woofers. I think either set would make excellent mains, and I can use the other set for a different zone, such as the living room. I also have an OK sub, which I will most likely be replaced at some point, but not now if I can help it.

So what I will need is a center and side and back surrounds. Anyone have any idea about what might match up somewhat with the either the Advents or OHMs?

Budget around 1K

Denon 3805 receiver to drive system.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
According to their website.... http://www.ohmspeakers.com/store_ite...ID=81992341802

"Ohm allows up to $595 for the return of a complete pair of undamaged Ohm D2s toward 25% of the purchase price of new Ohm speakers."

You might end up spending a little more than your budget for a new complete set of Ohm's, but if you like their sound, you could use your current sub and replace the mains and pick up a center to start, say the micro walsh towers and the center (unfortunately, not priced on their site), with the trade in from your old D2's, you would be slightly over your $1000 budget.

For example.... the micro walsh towers in veneer are $1000. Say the center is $500 for a total of $1500. Twenty five percent of $1500 is $375 so your three new speakers would be $1500 - $375 = $1125. Heck, with the extra money available on the trade in D2's, I'd try to pick up a pair of the sats too. That's a pretty sweet tade in policy on old products.

That way, everything would be new, up to date and most importantly, be a seamless match across the front soundstage. Or in Ohm's case.... the room.

If the sats stretch the budget too far right now, you could then use your Advents (if you really needed them) for surround duty until you could pick up a pair of the sats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.